PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith O

Lurker
Oct 4, 2019
My local B&M girl advised to cure a new pipe with a thin smear of honey inside the bowl, taking care not to get it on the exterior. Said that it helps it form the cake. I hadn't seen this, but have only been lurking a week or 2...
I bought a cob to try as well.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My local B&M girl advised to cure a new pipe with a thin smear of honey inside the bowl, taking care not to get it on the exterior. Said that it helps it form the cake. I hadn't seen this, but have only been lurking a week or 2...
I bought a cob to try as well.
I've done that on many. Spread a thin layer of honey and shake ash in the chamber to coat it. Folks have done that for decades but it's not necessary. Certainly don't do it to a cob since cake build up isn't at all needed in them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've had my local independent pipe shop owner do that on a pipe or two I bought. I think it is based on cake building, which I don't do, but it didn't do any harm either, and it was fun to momentarily subscribe to the old ritual, and who doesn't like honey? I just scoop out the ash, wipe out the bowl with a stiff paper towel or paper napkin, and maintain a thin carbon layer. No reaming is needed, and the chamber remains its original size more or less.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have done this treatment to several of my pipes which were either reamed or come from factories like with naked 'chambers, there might be some advantage to this method at least it seems that the carbon layer starts to build-up faster and thus may give some hypothetical? protection to brand new (or reamed) bowl chamber

M

Merton

I believe that Claudio Cavicchi always put a dab of honey on his otherwise uncoated bowls. Great pipesmoker BTW.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, honey is messy. It's the sugars in it that carbonize and help jump start a cake. But coating with just sugar is faster, less messy and has more carbs per ounce than honey. In any event, neither is necessary. If you mix in ash you will be building a soft cake. I am careful to remove all ash from chamber and stem.

Reactions: UB 40
Status
Not open for further replies.