PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
Dun you dare laugh . . .. nah go ahead and laugh its kinda funny -- I am totally without talent as far as construction goes (well, more importantly, I have no wood or tools. . .)
IMG00461.jpg

Yes, that is just two pieces of cardboard taped together.... The fram is all one piece from the bottom of a box and I cut off the other side so it wouldn't have a top (because as you can see, some of my pipes were too long) and I set the side I cut off at the junction of the two parts to the frame piece. And cut the whole thing down to a more sane size. . ..
Took all of 15 minutes.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
Its not really a poker, its a Peterson Barrel -- that may be a bit finicky since the only real difference is some tapering at the lower part of the bowl, and less extra material below the joint , but I want a real poker to add to the collection heh heh -- Thanks mate.

isodave2

Lurker
Jan 8, 2011
It looks like you have two push pins to keep it from falling over. A+ for creativity.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
I have 5 push pins holding it to the wall actually one more on the left of the top, and one at the back of each side on the bottom, of course I re-arreanged things earlier and my match-boxes now cover the top right pin too so only the centre-point is visible.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Cardboard can be extremely sturdy. The drama department at UWEC is still using a dining table that I helped build from cardboard in the fall of 1970. It looks like an old round oak table but one person can grab it and carry it off for a scene change. It is sturdy enough that you can stand on it.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
Wish I had been so creative. I just know when I try something like that Someone will knock it off the shelf. I lost my first pipe that way. Totally cool it works for you.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
5 not 3 :P
Also I just drew up a print for a new one that I'll be using some old wood someone found for me after they saw my cardboard make-shift. And I found out we do have a saw, so yay, I'll be able to make a real one.
The new on will be 22" tall and 15 1/2" wide, 8" deep is the desire but that might be too heavy so I may go for 4" deep. There'll be 3 shelves, the bottom 7 1/2" tall the middle 11 1/2" and the top 3".
If, however, I make it 4" deep it wouldn't be big enough total so I'll have to make two, and depending on how much wood I have it'll either be two as above or two built like the cardboard one above but only 4" deep (that's 7 1/2" on the bottom shelf, same on the second, and no top to the thing.)
EDIT -- I just finished doing the math with the mats I have and what it would take to make a shelf, and I decided on two shelfs, but of two different kinds.
A: is 18x15 in the front, 18x4 on the sides and 15x4 on the bottom and at each of the two shelves with an open top. Bottom shelf is 3" tall, the other two 7 1/2"
B: 15x15x4 with two shelves and an open top. Just like the cardboard thing I already have but 4" deep instead of 8".
I have 1 - 42x6 board, 4 - 30x6, and enough 3/16" wood to back both of them
img00501-600x480.jpg

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
I can't -- cause of this

img00502-150x120.jpg

img00503-150x120.jpg

img00504-150x120.jpg

Man when you see it in a picture you realize. . . I need to clean my room.
In my defense the wood will be gone later tonight after I use it.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
img00505-600x480.jpg

img00506-600x480.jpg

Need to finish painting them tomorrow but, what d'yeh think?
If you can notice the . .. uneveness, its been many years since I've handled a circular saw, and never a hand-held one, and certainly not without a table (I let the wood hang over the driveway and but it that way) so yeah, I botched it pretty bad but it looks relatively okay, and better than cardboard by a fair bit anyway.
Oh and I decided not to bother backing them, no way in hell I'd be able to cut a full square properly with that saw, and I don't have anything more manageable.

pappy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2011
I think for the materials and tools you had on hand you did an outstanding job! Well done!

maduroman

May 15, 2010
you forgot the duct tape on the cardboard one.
if anyone says anything about the uneven cutting, tell them you was going for a post modern look...

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
But I hate post-modern "art". . ..
Heh, I don't have duct tape though mate, prolly woulda worked better though come to think.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
A straight cut with a handsaw is fairly easy once you have the technique down. Start with a very low angle to get started straight and use a relaxed grip. Don't fight the saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.