PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
I threw together some tobaccos last weekend that turned out pretty good. It was after I read the description of Russ's Porch Swing. It was McC Townsman Rum-3 parts

Blending Latakia-2 parts

Blending Perique-1 part

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One of the luxuries of pipe smoking is that you can mix a new blend any time. I never pretend the knowhow of professional blenders who spend months and years making and modifying a blend to get it to perfection, but I am surprised at how good many of my "notions" really are. This is a good recipe, starting with a fine McC's standard and adding the usual suspects in healthy portions. A classic recipe is any predominantly Virginia blend or Va. single leaf, with condiment portions of good burley and unflavored black Cavendish. The pros use pressure and heat, but I just mix the portions and pack the pipe. I'm favorably surprised much more often than disappointed.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Had about 1/4 of a bowl left of the blend so I added some C&D Star of The East Gold and a good pinch of Perique. It tasted great but man, that Perique knocked my "dick in the dirt"! Couldn't quite finish the bowl.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think single leaf is best for mixes, or at least blends with just two or three components, and little or no aromatic flavoring. If you get too many tobaccos going, it can be harsh or just muddy, though you can always be surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.