PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I own several pipe tools -- the classic Czech pipe tool that folds a pick and scoop around a tamper; the pocket knife like tool that has those same three tools in a pen knife handle, and other variations. However, for sure stark simplicity, I must admire the pipe nail in its two slight variations, the round headed tamper with a scoop on the other end, and the horseshoe nail with a square tamper on one end and a narrow scoop on the other. These do the job with no frills. They cost a US dollar or a little more. Being so inexpensive, in the irony of life they are almost impossible to lose, except in your pocket where they can usually be soon located. The "only lack they have" is the absence of a pick, but in both cases the scoop is narrow enough to double as a pick to stir and loosen tobacco in the bowl. I like my other tools, especially the little stainless steel pen-knife-like combination, but I nearly always reach for the pipe nails. It's just right. It costs little. Life can be beautiful. Add to my glorification of the simple pipe nail or register you complaint with them ... on this thread.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
+1 for the horseshoe nail. I keep a Rodgers pipe knife in my pocket, a fancy turned tamper in my pouch, and there are a few others lying around in various spots but if the horseshoe is available that's the one I reach for. I say "available" because I have to disagree that they are impossible to lose. I have only the one and it's missing more often than not. In fact, it appears at this moment that it's gone on another walkabout.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My 80 cent square headed pipe nail is my tool of choice.
I have the 3 function Czech tool and the fancy Savinelli one I won in the caption contest in my little tool basket, but they get no love, so far.
Honorable mention to the twig with slanted knot on the end I found, which fits into the smaller cob opening, as needed.
jay-roger.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I too like the simplicity of the pipe nail, and I have used them for years. I still use them from time to time, but for about a year now, my new favorite is the 8deco bamboo and brass pipe tamper. I particularly like the brass tamper part as its concave and has holes in it so you can draw through it while tamping. Oh, and it's cheap too.
img_0836-600x473.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Orley, that is a good innovation, the vented tamper. I use a solid tamper pipe nail gingerly and at a slant to let the ember breathe, but this makes it even easier.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have 30 nice all natural cherry wood tampers, and gave away an equal number at the last pipe show. But I usually use a pipe tool which has tamper, nail, and blade. Esp. In the car, cause I can pick it up and know without looking which end is the tamper. And the nail (pick) part is slim enough to clear airways.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I agree. Just bought two more pipe nails this weekend even though I've never lost the previous two I bought. Great for the car and the simplicity makes it my go to tamper at home as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.