PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Lawdog, could it be flyfishermen are just more advanced than your average human and pipe smoking is not for trolls? It seems to this old redneck cowboy that many of the hobbies listed lean toward more of the thinking man/women ( must be PC) and it follows we would be pipe smokers.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
It's funny, if I had to pick pipe smoking to overlap with one activity, I would have said fly fishing. Probably based on the contemplative and to a degree ritualistic nature of both. That's just based on my experience in New England, not sure about everywhere else. But among fly fisherman was the only time that smelling someone's pipe smoke didn't come as a surprise, albeit a pleasant one.
For my own hobbies, it used to be reading, hiking, gardening (in a broader sense...maybe landscaping?), shooting, fishing, cooking, in rough order of time spent. It seems like I used to have a lot of time on my hands, even rebuilt old high-power microscopes for a while with the intent of getting into microphotography but never really did the latter.
Now that I live in the near tropics (and have small kids), it's more reading and fishing and staying out of the humidity. Years ago, I was a mean bridge player. @jpmcwjr 's post reminded me of that...might be a good way to beat the heat.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I enjoy building things, especially out of wood. Right now I'm building a platform bed with my son for his room. Next phase is to build a desk below the bed. I also enjoy music, I've been playing guitar for 30 years, although that's probably more profession than hobby. I occasionally play video games, although lately not as much as I don't really enjoy the fusion of politics into entertainment as we have seen over the past few years, so I find myself less and less interested in games and movies.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Far too many. We raise our own meat animals and I butcher them, plus I hunt. Starting to try growing tobacco and tea on top of food. I make pipes. I paint watercolour and sumi-e. I cook all of our food from scratch, BBQ, Japanese, Mexican, Indian, English, Polish, and more. I fight in custom 15th century plate armor, non choreographed real fights. I read, a lot. I am in a band. I'll just stop there.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Lots of fly fishermen among the pipe smoking crowd, it seems.
Well what are you going to do with those empty tins? They make for pretty good fly/nymph boxes without much extra work.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Lawdog, could it be flyfishermen are just more advanced than your average human and pipe smoking is not for trolls? It seems to this old redneck cowboy that many of the hobbies listed lean toward more of the thinking man/women ( must be PC) and it follows we would be pipe smokers.
Definitely agreed about the hobbies mentioned in this thread leaning toward the thinking man.
It's funny, if I had to pick pipe smoking to overlap with one activity, I would have said fly fishing. Probably based on the contemplative and to a degree ritualistic nature of both.
Also agreed.
:puffy:
Now where's the fly fisherman emoji?
I don't really enjoy the fusion of politics into entertainment as we have seen over the past few years, so I find myself less and less interested in games and movies.
+1,000! I follow and care about political issues, but I don't want it jammed into my entertainment / recreation time as it has been lately

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Coin collecting, concert posters, equities and helping the wife with her dog training business. She makes most of the bank so I probably should not consider it my hobby :)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
When I have a craving for Dolly Varden, or other fresh trout ... I fish. My photography seems to have become so damned all consuming that I have no time for woodworking any longer. I miss the smell of sawdust. I still a voracious reader so as to continue learning ... maybe that's a hobby ... learning.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Used to fly fish way more than I do now, but I still have all the gear in the garage somewhere.
Guitar and cooking are the biggest two, done both for 30+ years. Played in several cover and original bands for fun and side money, electric and acoustic mostly rock and blues. Also did orchestra and some classical on occasion. I keep getting pulled into the jazz direction lately, maybe it's age.
Tube-based electronics, an interest I inherited from my dad. Built a few guitar amps, modified a bunch for myself and friends. I have a few tube stereo gear pieces to rehab soon.
Outdoor activities, while enjoyable, never cease when you own a home and prefer to heat with wood as much as possible. I've planted fruit trees and tried ever so hard at raised bed gardens. I love fresh home grown veggies, but unfortunately, since I can't even keep a cactus alive in my house, tomatoes and such don't have a snowball's chance in hell.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
I read a lot, write stories (Well that started as a hobby and kinda exploded), I enjoy collecting certain things mostly Vinyl records and playing video games with a group of friends whom I've never met in person but are closer to those that I have.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Fishing, handguns, cooking, boating & photography.

Aren't most things cyclical?

God gave man a branch to fish with, then a fly-rod, then a bait caster then a spinning then a fly-rod.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
Retired. Keeping up the house and yard. Restoring pipes. Singing in choral group. Enjoying grand kids. Trying to keep up with all you people on this site----and oh yea, build and fly these:
img_0252.jpg

img_0247.jpg

Seems like the activities always fill the days ! Hoppes

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
New fpv drone frame still waiting on electronics from china takes a while i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.