PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I don't see a lot of discussion or interest in Hilson pipes on the forum, so I thought I would mention my latest purchase. I have an old one that I picked up at some pipe show for a few dollars quite a while back. It has several fills on the bowl, but has always smoked well, so while passing time on the internet recently, I saw that Hilson pipes are still around. After looking over some, I ordered this pipe. I spoke with their customer service guy first, just to make sure it was fill free. He pulled the pipe and said that he could not see any fills on the bowl. So it should be here in a few days.

The top is block meerschaum and it's about 5 1/2" long. Should be a very good smoke. The photo is from their site since I don't have the pipe yet.
Hilson Virgin Delux Champagne

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
That's quite a looker max. If you type in "Hilson" in the search bar you would find:
Hilson ad Big Ben
This was the only one dedicated to Hilson pipes, but there are many other conversations where a Hilson is being talked about.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I bought a couple of Hilson Dromedary pipes about 6 months ago on ebay. (see pic) They were filthy and needed a lot of resto work. When I was cleaning out the bowls, I found that they had a very thin meerschaum lining, some of which was gone around the rim of the bowl. These are odd looking pipes, but cleaned up nice, and I couldn't find any fills anywhere. They proved to be nice smoking pipes too, and were quite comfortable to hold. I sold the larger one as it was just too heavy for me, but I still smoke the smaller one. I know some of the Hilsons are made in Holland, as these were, but some later pipes were made in Belgium. Interesting pipes all in all.
The one you got is really cool looking, and I can't imagine it won't smoke great, and it'll be fun to watch as the bowl starts to color. Hope you'll post some pics later after you smoke it a while. I'd like to see what it looks like. :puffy:
img_00822-600x449.jpg

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Nice looking pipes!
I got in on the $60 deal last year for the Hilson Vintage line ... a slight bent prince and a short volcano:
p1010029-600x450.jpg

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
That's a fine-looking pipe. Really nice grain. And yes, it should be a great smoker. I'll be interested to see a photo of it after you have a few smokes on it and how the meerschaum takes on character.

Dec 24, 2012
I love the look of that. Does the meer bowl come out? How does the engineering work - i.e. there is a draft hole in the mirror bowl and also in the briar? Very cool.

I thought that I had posted on this already. Did it get removed by accident? Anyways, I have four Belgian made Hilsons, two tall chimneys and a long and lanky stacked dublin that is my absolute favorite pipe to use while working at the bench. I like the look of all of their pipes.
And, that meer is sharp as heck. Enjoy!!

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Wow. Looks like there ARE some Hilson fans on here after all. Yep. I do hope it colors up well. I'll post some photos if it does.

And Agnostic, I often wondered what to call pipes with a hump on the shank. Thank's for the info. I have one, but never knew it was called a Dromedary. Thank you all for the compliments.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Peckingpaw, to answer your question, it's just like a gourd calabash. The meerschaum bowl fits into a cork ring around the top of the briar bowl, and there is an air hole at the other end leading into the stem. It should be cool in the hand while smoking because the bowl has been hollowed out like a gourd. I'll know more in a few days.

Jan 8, 2013
Very nice! I've mentioned mine a few times. Nothing smokes Bagpiper's dream as well as my Hilson so it became my first ever dedicated pipe.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I bought a Hilson Dublin not too long ago on sale at P&C. Smokes nice. Definitely in the rotation. :puffy:
Dave

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Nice Meer. I have a Hilson that was my grandfathers. It's a blasted billiard and smokes very nicely.

I don't know about the quality of the newer ones, but they sure look great.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I was searching the web for new Hilson pipes and the so called "new ones" were turned in the 1950's-1970's. A man from Texas bought the brand. Pipes & Cigars had a lil background info on them. N.O.S. 60 year old cured briar Hilson for under $200.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Well, I received the pipe yesterday. It's even prettier than it was on the pipe site photo. It came well presented in a Hilson box and red silk sleeve. It also has a lot of birdseye graining on the sides.

I just sat it on my desk and looked at it all evening. I have had many new pipes, and of course you always have some qualms about lighting them up for the first time, but this little Hilson was so pretty that I really didn't want to. I walked by it numerous times, and each time, I would cut the lamp on and just look at it. Should I or shouldn't I?

This morning I took it down to the garage and filled it with some tobacco. I swear I felt like some Ogre about to despoil a pretty little virgin. Anyway, I did. I still feel guilty, but it smoked just fine. Looking forward to many years with her.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Lovely pipe max. I have a smooth Hilson banker that smokes really well; it has no fills and - while not an investment grade pipe - is a definite keeper. I hope your Hilson gives you the hours of peaceful enjoyment I've had from mine.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.