PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Ok so I've been in love with a Savinelli Giubileo d'Oro Sandblasted which I never bought. I am curious though why would one purchase one of the higher end Savinelli's vs a pipe from an artisan pipe maker like Adam or Ryan Alden for example?
(I happen to mention those two as I'm on a waiting list for both)

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Ryan Alden hands down!! Unless you're fulfilling a collection or gobsnacked by some shape or whatever, Alden's pipe will blow smoke rings around ANY Savinelli.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
In my opinion, pipes are pieces of art. They all serve the same purpose. Just buy what you like. What one guy loves another guy wouldn't ever buy. It's truly in the eye of the beholder. Period.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
This particular Savinelli has been calling my name now for a couple months. I think that is the only reason I'd end up buying a higher end Savinelli otherwise I can get a top quality artisan commission for less.
I'm waiting patiently for Ryan and Adam.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I have both, higher end Savs & Artisan pipes (Jesse Jones, Mark Tinsky, Craig Cooper) I'll be honest, the Savs (OLD Nonpareils) smoke better than the Cooper and as well as the Tinsky. Jesse's pipes smoke better than my Castellos and Ashtons (or any other pipe, for that matter!). You couldn't pay me enough to own another Balsa ruined Savinelli! Thosr things are HORRIBLE... just one man's opinion, mind you. :wink:

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I have both, higher end Savs & Artisan pipes (Jesse Jones, Mark Tinsky, Craig Cooper) I'll be honest, the Savs (OLD Nonpareils) smoke better than the Cooper and as well as the Tinsky. Jesse's pipes smoke better than my Castellos and Ashtons (or any other pipe, for that matter!). You couldn't pay me enough to own another Balsa ruined Savinelli! Thosr things are HORRIBLE... just one man's opinion, mind you. :wink:

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Hold out for the Alden! He makes an awesome smoking pipe! I just commissioned one from him a couple months back! Blasted Rhodesian!

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Why do people do a lot of things? Because that's what they want or don't know any better. Savinelli's are nice pipes, me, I would probably go for the artisan pipe myself, especially the closer the prices became.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My experience with higher end Savenelli pipes has been good. These have been mostly gifts, and I have found them to be carefully produced and extra smooth smokers. On the other hand, I have some artisan pipes that I treasure -- a Ferndown from a Forums member, a Bob Hayes with a bamboo shank, and a whole set of highly distinctive Jerry Perry pipes including several in Mountain Laurel and one in Cocobolo, and some fine briars as well. I really think you have to consider them one pipe at a time. If you are tending toward buying mostly artisanal pipes, perhaps you should forego the Sav to start this new direction. On the other hand, if the Sav speaks to you, it may be worth delaying this change. Factory pipes can have plenty of artisanal craft involved, and some of the higher end pipes in some brands are handmade. Pipe by pipe is the way to go.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
In the end, do what you like. Everyone loves Ryan's pipes. They are awesome and smoke wonderfully. On the other hand, everyone loves Savinelli and extolls the virtues of even the lower end pipes' smoking quality. One must then infer the high end ones, like the G D'O's must smoke like a unicorn's horn.
So I don't think you can lose with either choice. Hell which ever one pops first should be your choice, then save up and get the other choice next. :clap:

davidy97

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
Tx
My sav autograph is one of my top three smokers. Especially if you pick up and estate for $100 range.

seitz55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Ryan Alden is mentioned in high regards on this forum. Does he have a website?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
aldenpipes.com I think.
He may be a big dumb, mean, loud, drunk, obnoxious Texan, but he makes a hell of a nice pipe.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Sas may be equally big and dumb....AND CANADIAN......but he also makes a damn fine pipe.
BST pipes. He is a bit weak on puppy eating though.

Status
Not open for further replies.