High and Dry (my quest for the holy toast)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_Lawrence

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2019
To introduce myself first, I'm extremely new to the world of pipe smoking and collecting, though you wouldn't know it from my increasingly respectable collection. It didn't take me long to learn that aromatics aren't my thing, at least not in comparison with the more organic charm of straight Virginias, Balkans and Orientals. If I'm saying that right.

What really lit my fire though was the mixture, as recommended by a user on TobaccoReviews, of Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake and the Skiff Mixture of the same company. Combined, it has been the closest I've came to the flavour I admired most - Fribourg & Treyer's High Dry Toast, which is not a pipe tobacco at all but a nasal snuff, and one leagues apart from the many others I sampled years ago.

Unfortunately though, even this spicy, smokey combination of Skiff (primarily Turkish & Latakia) and Virginia flake is still a long way away from the fabled Toast, which I'm not really fluent enough to describe. Any fellow English (and presumably British and Irish more broadly) users may get what I mean when I say it reminds me of my grandad, that is my English grandfather not my Barbadian grandfather, who was of course a pipe smoker and a very old one at that—being born in the 1910s and living into hte 1990s, but this isn't exactly a universal point of reference.

I've seen this snuff described as having leathery notes and a woody smokey scent and of course, the toasting of freshly baked bread. My reason for posting all this is because I get the sense that this just isn't a flavour I'm going to find in pipe tobacco and wondered if anybody perhaps familiar with toast varieties of snuff could point me towards some reasonable facsimile, or at least explain why that incredible aroma is exclusive to the snuff world. My grandad wasn't a snuff taker, after all, though it could be the scent of his walking stick for all I know.

Thank you for reading, I assume you weren't in any kind of hurry.

-L.D.

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
Just had a pinch of HDT before reading
I leave the smoke to the smoke and the snuff to the snuff. I have heard of people sprinkling snuff on top of their tobacco once packed. But I will never do that. Enjoy, and who knows, you may find your HD pipe mixture. I just enjoy the variances in all tobacco forms.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I'd recommend trying some Dunhill 965 when it comes back out as Peterson 965. I'd also recommend you try some Esoterica Penzance if you can ever find it. Park Lanes Trout Brook is outstanding. So is Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
My only experience with an F&T snuff was Macouba, I believe which was pretty heavily scented, and pretty dry. I don't know the specific aroma of the High and Dry Toast, but I would suggest checking out as many of the Sam Gawith and Gawith, Hogarth & Co. Lakeland type blends as possible, as they use the same types of scents and oils on their tobaccos as you'd find with F&T snuffs.

David_Lawrence

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2019
Thanks for the recommendations, I have indeed found the Gawith ranges to be the most appealing so far. The Dunhill tobaccos seem to be the stuff of legends from all I've been reading so yes, I'll certainly be jumping on those once they arrive. Navy Flake sounds like one I'd enjoy too but I wouldn't say the F&T HD Toast had a rummy flavour, although I could imagine others describing it differently to me seeing as I really don't know what it smells like.

Is there perhaps an element of dry snuff production that produces flavours that will never be found in pipe tobacco? It does intrigue me just how different snuff, pipe and cigar tobaccos taste and smell. I purchased some Kendal Dark Flake upon reading its description as containing "'cigar type' dark air-cured Indian leaf, which sounds like it could possibly bridge those worlds, so I look forward to learning whatever that blend has to teach.

Well alright then.

Reactions: tfdickson

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
If the Kendal Dark Flake is the same Dark Flake (scented or unscented) from Gawith Hogarth & Co., I think you're in for a treat. I don't find it exactly cigar like, but it's one of my favorite tobaccos. Even the unscented versin has a hint of those Lakeland essences. Hopefully you'll like it too.

David_Lawrence

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2019
Well I can report that, though I haven't actually smoked it yet, I'd considered it a swing and a miss upon smelling as it strongly resembles the one type I didn't take to, that being the...okay, I'm a fool. Upon looking up the full name to remind myself, I'm speaking of the Kendal Type A Black Bogie (rope) which is of course the same tobacco in different form hence me not liking either!

I will keep an open mind in that it's the scent (and name and appearance when it comes to the delightful rope!) I'm put off by. I didn't come back to it after failing to get it lit on what must have been only my third smoke; I've improved considerably since then and so I'm hoping the smoke will redeem everything.

I certainly didn't get a cigar quality from what little I managed to draw but I've since learned about the blends with added cigar leaf, this not being one, and the comparison being more of the darker fuller bodied flavour. I'm about to make a thread on the cigar type blends as I couldn't find one in the archives and I'm weighing up whether to import a few popular varieties from the U.S. (G. L. Pease primarily).

Thanks again for the feedback.

[Update] I'm pleased to say that I was dead wrong about the Kendal Dark Flake A Blend! I'm still smoking it as I speak (in a lovely cheap Missouri cob in its first smoke) and despite my disliking of its tin aroma, which I compare to beef jerky, it smokes really nicely and tastes much better than it smells - I can even say that it does indeed have the somewhat cigar like strong heavy body that the description advertised; not in a Havana coffee/chocolatey way but in the richness and 'darkness'.

Very glad it wasn't a mistaken purchase after all!

Last edited:
Reactions: anotherbob
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Aged Gl Pease Union Square tastes like toasted bread to me. It was my first experience with a straight Virginia, and I'm still chasing that toasty bready flavor. If you have the patience to buy a tin and wait a couple years, or find an aged tin for sale, you may find what you're looking for. Fresh, it does have a mild toasted bread note but the age definitely brings it to the forefront.

Reactions: anotherbob

David_Lawrence

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2019
That sounds like it could be a winner, I'll give it a go once I see what the customs and duties charges are on the four tins I ordered a few weeks ago. It's taking a very long time to arrive (sent on a cheap "Super Saver" service without tracking) so patience is something I'll have to work on, I suppose!

I did find one UK based site that stocked or otherwise sourced American tobacco but they had a minimum order of 1kg, which is monumental for me! That's about 2lbs or 35oz in imperial and a 2oz/50g tin will last me a long time in rotation.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Reactions: solideogloria86

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Thanks for the recommendations, I have indeed found the Gawith ranges to be the most appealing so far. The Dunhill tobaccos seem to be the stuff of legends from all I've been reading so yes, I'll certainly be jumping on those once they arrive. Navy Flake sounds like one I'd enjoy too but I wouldn't say the F&T HD Toast had a rummy flavour, although I could imagine others describing it differently to me seeing as I really don't know what it smells like.

Is there perhaps an element of dry snuff production that produces flavours that will never be found in pipe tobacco? It does intrigue me just how different snuff, pipe and cigar tobaccos taste and smell. I purchased some Kendal Dark Flake upon reading its description as containing "'cigar type' dark air-cured Indian leaf, which sounds like it could possibly bridge those worlds, so I look forward to learning whatever that blend has to teach.

Well alright then.
never gonna get that toast scent from a snuff into a pipe tobacco. That whole not burning it with the snuff is probably the biggest key. Example if you take semios and grind it fine you get a really wonderful snuff that smells nothing like when you smoke the same toasted tobacco in a pipe.

Reactions: David_Lawrence
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
That sounds like it could be a winner, I'll give it a go once I see what the customs and duties charges are on the four tins I ordered a few weeks ago. It's taking a very long time to arrive (sent on a cheap "Super Saver" service without tracking) so patience is something I'll have to work on, I suppose!

I did find one UK based site that stocked or otherwise sourced American tobacco but they had a minimum order of 1kg, which is monumental for me! That's about 2lbs or 35oz in imperial and a 2oz/50g tin will last me a long time in rotation.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Not sure if this site will work for you and it's almost 20% higher than in the US but they have it.

David_Lawrence

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2019
Not sure if this site will work for you and it's almost 20% higher than in the US but they have it.

That's the one with the 1.1kg minimum order, I'm afraid. If I were a rich man, I'd bulk buy for long term storage, but alas I merely pose as one in profile pictures.

Cheers for looking though.

anotherbob said:
never gonna get that toast scent from a snuff into a pipe tobacco. That whole not burning it with the snuff is probably the biggest key. Example if you take semios and grind it fine you get a really wonderful snuff that smells nothing like when you smoke the same toasted tobacco in a pipe

Much like my Close But No Cigar side quest, I'm accepting that I'll never really duplicate those tastes and aromas for the reasons you give there. Sometimes though, it can come close enough to hit that 'best of both worlds' sweet spot. Putting my nose to the pile of Kendal Balkan Flake I've just rubbed still has some of those characteristics I adore, so I'm happy to temper my expectations and sample any that have carried even just a whisper for others.

I'm sure I'll discover some blends and varieties that are right up my avenue, if nothing else. Appreciate the feedback, as always.

Reactions: solideogloria86

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Id love to try that snuff..
With winter coming I usually try to order a couple different kinds to help squelch my nicotine cravings when its too cold for a pipe outside.
Is F&T High Dry Toast widely available?

Status
Not open for further replies.