PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I bought a Lorenzetti on eBay for a very good price. The attraction was not the pictures per se but the bit of varnish that had been scraped off in use. The rim was badly scorched and it needed reaming. When I got it the little patch showed what looked like very nice grain so I gave the pipe a restoration attempt. The varnish and scorching were sanded off, the chamber reamed, the pipe thoroughly cleaned and then waxed with carnauba wax several times. The result was a very pretty pipe with lovely grain, revealed birds eye pattern on the rim and a pleasant nature color. See for yourself!

Before:

_58_zps4c16024f.jpg

After:

DSCF2014_zps40a330bd.jpg

DSCF2002_zps42b475fc.jpg

The take home message is that there can be a treasure under the original finish and heavy use. Thanks for looking, Spencer.

stewartu

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2012
Much better. I really dislike red stain and/or varnish on a pipe.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Wow, that is a pretty little number! Kudos on the excellent restoration. Hope she smokes as good as she looks.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
As others have said I definitely prefer the newer look. The brighter the better. The question is, how does she smoke?

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
As a new member I am thankful that the preponderance of responses was "How does it smoke". Sure, a beautiful pipe is a thing to behold but what is REALLY important is the smoke. So the story proceeds: the draw was a little restricted so I bored out the shank to 5/32". It now smokes very well, quite dry and reasonably cool. My best pipe? Not hardly. But a very good smoke, and of course another topic for discussion: whether to widen the shank or not... Thanks to all who responded.

Spencer

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Looks like the Augustus Caesar model. Funny how personal things are, I believe I have that exact pipe and picked it up specifically for the red stain. That being said it looks really nice in the natural finish as well. I picked mine up new and have only had 3 bowls in it, but I think Lorenzetti pipes are very undervalued out there right now. Smokes very well out of the gate with no break in period, not my best smoker either but very good one for a low price.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Mr. Davidson,

Ah, right you are! Actually, Julius Caesar, but who counts, keeps track. I have probably watched too many youtube videos of the masters making pipes to even think there is ANY reason to varnish a pipe. The natural wood should be shown off and I cannot even dream why Lorenzetti would have varnished a pipe with such nice grain. Be that as in may, I am enjoying this pipe for both its looks and the smoke...

Spencer

Status
Not open for further replies.