PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have experience living on an especially remote island, that being Midway. I was there for Dec. 1970 through Sept. 71. It is geologically part of the Hawaiian chain, but it is as a far from Honolulu to Midway as it is from New York City to Omaha. Luckily for me, the Navy still had quite a little community out there with a cafe, service clubs (officer and enlisted), a little bowling alley and movie theater, etc. When I was there it was a pristine nature preserve for sea birds, sea turtles, seals, and tiger sharks, and major nesting grounds for the Laysan albatross. The birds are still there, but it has become accosted by a vortex of seaborne plastic waste. I think there are a few researchers there under the Dept. of Interior, but not much else. Cruise ships used to moor there and take tourists ashore, but I think that too has ended. There's currently a good movie out, "Midway," about the WWII battle which may be the greatest most decisive battle in naval history ancient or modern. Over the decades it was originally a trans-Pacific cable station; a Pan Am Clipper stop; a Navy base and town of thousands; and a town of about 500 when I was there.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina, U.S. Can you order tobacco online without prohibitive customs? Or, how do you obtain pipe tobacco? Obtaining leaf sounds like a separate hobby in itself!

I doubt it would be economical to do it that way. I have to wait until a fellow expat is making a trip to/from SA/UK & get them to bring a couple of packs (next delivery expected in about a week or so with a couple of new ones to try)

To all: thanks for the warm welcomes

Status
Not open for further replies.