New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished canning up this month's five pound TAD. I just love the looks of the bulk flakes. This is Old Dark Fired in bulk. Look at that beautiful color and mottled surface.

I just thought that I would share, in case someone hasn't seen these beautiful slabs.

ODF1.jpg
ODF2.jpg

These are all jarred up now, cataloged, and waiting for the clock to do its thing.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Yum. I could look at flake pics all day. There was an old thread of just tobacco pics that made me drool. I was never able to find it again.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I believe it was this one?
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pictures-of-pipe-tobacco

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Definitely do it. ODF is such an great sight when you open up that foil wrapper and see the flakes for the first time. Plus, you really cannot beat the price.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Pull the Trigger!!! Absolutely on of the best smokes out there today in my humble opinion...

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Mmmmm .... drool, drool ...
Another one for the "Must Try" list!
Thanks Cosmic!

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
My question: if I wanted to split this up into eight jars with 2 oz each, for which amount I usually use the half-pint jars, should I slice the whole chunk up like I would a pan of brownies?

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
You learn something new every day.
I didn't know that ODF was sold in bulk.
Of the Va blends, ODF is one of my favorites.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Mmmmm .... drool, drool ...
Another one for the "Must Try" list!
Thanks Cosmic!
Ask and Ye Shall Receive! Bob (rmbittner) had an extra tin on hand and generously offered me one.

My first impressions were definitely positive. I love the look and feel of these flakes and the

tin aroma was fantastic. I pulled out 4 flakes and two bowls. In the first, a small Volcano, I

did a fold and stuff. In the second, an apple shape, I rubbed it out completely. Both methods

delivered a cool, smooth, delicious smoke but I will most likely use the fold and stuff from now on.
Thanks again Bob!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Glad to help! I enjoy this one, but it nudges the boundaries of how much nicotine I can enjoy in a blend. (I prefer very little.)
Bob

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
... dried to a crisp and crunch. To me, it brings out those brighter flavors ...
Definitely see what you mean. I just went outside and finished up a left-over half bowl.

Afterwards, I lit the fresh bowl I had just loaded (cube cut this time).

Big difference! The fresh bowl almost reminds me of SG Chocolate Flake.

I wonder what they smoke the leaves with because it's really good!
... it nudges the boundaries of how much nicotine I can enjoy in a blend
I hear you on that! This one is a solid medium-high for me.

Yesterday, I tried Dunhill's Royal Yacht for the first time, thanks to another great

online trade with Jason(fadingdaylight). That blend actually sent me to the nearest log to sit down!
BTW ... there should be a package at your doorstep on Thursday! :puffy:

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I did not realize that this came in bulk as well. I know many times folks say that the tins are a better quality than the bulk. Has anyone noticed any difference? I have only tried this flake twice and have 2 100g tins (which I need to jar before it rusts) but could see buying a lot of it if the bulk was as good as the tins.
Any input would be most appreciated.
Dan

Same stuff in both. I keep hearing that they are the same exact thing. The biggest quality difference is when you order a few ounces out of a the jar or bag. The stuff that stays open in those containers can sometimes dry out or just lose their "magic." This is why I like to order who bags or boxes, so that they are fresh.
LOL, I was looking over the pictures I was thinking that they looked familiar, and then I realized that I posted this, ha ha. So, does pipe smoking help with early Alzheimers at all? :puffy:

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
That makes sense cosmic. In what quantity and where do you get your own bag? I have checked a few sites and it appears that SP and 4 noggins has it as ready rubbed and P&C didn't have it. I see COJ has the 1 lb box which might be the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.