PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I can attest to the quality of the ready rubbed as well. I picked up an 8oz bag a few days ago, jarred up about 5oz into a pint jar, then left some in the bag for smoking.
Well, I've damn near killed what I left out for smoking. I have been hammering through it, and it is just as good. Same deal, let it dry. Looks like my jar won't be getting aged...

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I will throw in my .02 on the ready rubbed version. Picked up a couple ounces to get free shipping and liked it so much did it again a second time. A five pound bag is just under $200 American, so am thinking about saving my pennies up and getting one of those.
I found no difference between the flake and ready rubbed in terms of taste.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
One more to try but it is getting rave reviews I will have to pick a tin of this . Very handsome flake I can smell it from here .

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
+1 cosmic.
The only difference between the tin and bulk flakes are the bulk flakes are longer and slightly thicker. I just jarred up the six pounds I have picked up over the past half year or so. A pound fits easily into a quart sized canning jar with room left over.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Should one wait a few days after opening a tin, or dive in immediately? Is it the same either way? Have a couple of tins but have not cracked one yet

For me, I prefer the flakes crunchy dry. But, they are good fresh out of the tin also. I am a clenched slow smoker, so dry gives me the flavors that I prefer, so it's all going to depend on how you smoke. Some like it folded, rubbed out, or cubed. Try it all of these ways and see which fits what you like. IMO, this is a part of the beauty of flakes, the diversity of flavors that you can pull out of them with how you prep it.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
I have a powerful lot of trouble keeping ODF lit fresh out of the tin, rubbed or folded, but drying it to crispy works very well. Slow drying though so today I tried putting two flakes on a paper plate and nuked it in a little 800 watt microwave for 7 seconds. Worked a treat and didn't change the taste noticeably. Lit easily and was an excellent smoke all the way down in a large Pete bulldog.. Not sure I'd try it on anything but a damp flake though.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I have stocked up vast amounts of both the tinned and the bulk. Smokingpipes 20% off sale was too good to pass up for the tins. They are stored away until Tobaccogeddon. In the meantime, I smoke the bulk ready-rubbed version multiple times a day. One of my all-time favorites.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
ODF is NO GOOD ... THIS IS NOT THE TOBACCO YOU ARE LOOKING FOR!! (waves hand thru the air) :mrgreen:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Welcome to the Dark Fired, muah ha ha
Thanks ... I don't know what took me so long but now it's my duty to protect and preserve

this most noble tobacco from the scourge of hoarders!
May the Schwartz be with us! :P

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I have stocked up vast amounts of both the tinned and the bulk. Smokingpipes 20% off sale was too good to pass up for the tins. They are stored away until Tobaccogeddon.
The tins rust. Macbaren came on this website and tried to explain that this was actually a benefit, but I wouldn't buy tins of this stuff and expect it to keep a seal for any more than a year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.