PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
It seems we have some pretty briar inclined metal heads roaming these halls we call PM. So I propose this (as I'm interested to see what people call the best, plus I can pick out some stuff to check out)
List your TOP 10 METAL ALBUMS YOU COULDN'T LIVE WITHOUT (Desert Island Situation)
Here's mine (In No Particular Order)
Bathory "Hammerheart"

Blind Guardian "Nightfall in Middle Earth"

Avantasia "The Metal Opera I"

Slipknot "Iowa"

Lamb of God "Sacrament"

Lamb of God "Ashes of the Wake"

Immortal "At the Heart of Winter"

Helloween "Keeper of the Seven Keys I"

Hammerfall "Glory to the Brave"

Metallica "Kill Em All"

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
In no particular order:
Slayer-Decade of Agression Live

Metallica-Kill em All

Iron Maiden-Number of the Beast

D.R.I.-Crossover

Motörhead-Stone Deaf Forever-box set

Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind

Ministry-Psalm 69

Misfits-Legacy of Brutality

Suicidal Tendencies-How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can't Even Smile Today

Megadeth-Rust In Peace

Jan 8, 2013
Nice list there Cmdrmcbragg :) Nightfall in Middle Earth is a great album.
This is a tough question for me, so I'll just make a quick list of whatever pops into my head first... and in no particular order.
Iron Maiden "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son"

Iron Maiden "Somewhere In Time"

Metallica "Metallica"

Metallica "Ride The Lightning" I could easily add all the albums before "Load"

Pantera "Cowboys From Hell"

Black Label Society "The Blessed Hellride"

Ozzy Osbourne "No Rest For The Wicked"

Ozzy Osbourne "The Ultimate Sin" I know, neither of these Ozzy albums featured the late great Randy Rhodes, but I love them.

RATT "Invasion Of Your Privacy" I would add Out Of The Cellar but I need room for....

Savatage "Dead Winter Dead"
Ok that's the best I could do off the top of my head. I could just as easily make my list entirely of Savatage albums, or Iron Maiden albums. The list goes on and on.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I knew I was forgetting an album on my list when I was typing it, "Number of the Beast" was the one I left off. I chose a cross section of different albums just for representation and differences in sound. I almost put "Cowboys From Hell" on there but realized I'd probably listen to it the least often of my 10 albums.
d6oep.jpg

unholy1

Might Stick Around
May 4, 2014
Faith No More - Angel Dust

Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses

Overkill - The Years of Decay

Suicidal Tendencies - The Art of Rebellion

Slayer - Reign in Blood

Metallica - Master of Puppets

Danzig - Lucifuge

Epica - The Quantum Enigma

Epica - Design Your Universe

Gear Daddies - Billy's Live Bait
The only oddball is Gear Daddies. They are an Americana band from Austin, Minnesota that formed in the 80s. Still tour on occasion even though they haven't released a new album in 25 years.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
As a die-hard Black Sabbath and Ozzy Osbourne fan I would take all of those albums, but for the sake of others I will list just one from each of those bands, and some other albums from the different Metal genres that are worthy of taking along for the ride.
1. Black Sabbath - Paranoid

2. Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz

3. Led Zeppelin - untitled (Blues Rock/Hard Rock selection)

4. Judas Priest - Painkiller (Heavy Metal/NWOBHM selection)

5. Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath (Traditional Metal selection)

6. Metallica - Ride the Lightning (Thrash Metal selection)

7. Death - Leprosy (Death Metal selection)

8. Immortal - At the Heart of Winter (Black Metal selection)

9. Hammerfall - Renegade (Power Metal selection)

10. Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime (Progressive Metal selection)

11. My Dying Bride - As the Flower Withers (Doom Metal selection)

12. Ensiferum - Ensiferum (Folk Metal selection)

13. Sirenia - At Sixes and Sevens (Gothic Metal selection)

14. Ministry - Filth Pig (Industrial selection)

15. Killswitch Engage - The End of Heartache (Metalcore selection)

16. Down - NOLA (Sludge Metal selection)

17. Yngwie Malmsteen - Rising Force (Neo-Classical Metal)

18. Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness (Grindcore selection)

19. Biohazard - Mata Leao (Hardcore selection)

20. Korn - Korn (Nu-Metal selection)

21. Poison - Flesh & Blood (Glam/Hair Metal selection)

22. Smashing Pumpkins - Gish (Alternative selection)

23. AC/DC - Back In Black (Hard Rock selection)
Ok, so that's more than 10. Oh well sue me. :mrgreen:

Jan 8, 2013
Cmdrmcbragg I love that Savatage/Obi Wan meme :rofl:
That being said I'm actually kind of pissed at myself for not adding this to my top 10 because I know I'd have to have this one hand for sure!
1000x1000.jpg

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
My biggest issue with this list is (a) Metallica is my favorite band and I can't leave any off (2) much the same applies to Led Zeppelin, and (3) how the hell do we define "heavy metal" today anyway? Are the 90s grunge bands metal, like Alice In Chains and Soundgarden? They WERE considered metal until a couple of magazine articles dubbed them "grunge." Would AC/DC or Motley Crue be metal now? It seems like most of what's called metal is what I grew up calling "thrash," which was a sub genre.

Anyhow, here's something of a Top 10:
Metallica -- all of them (even "St. Anger")

Queensryche -- Operation: Mindcrime

Queens of the Stone Age -- Rated R

Mastodon -- Crack the Skye

Tool -- Laterals

A Perfect Circle -- 13th Step

Led Zeppelin -- Mothership (greatest hits album) plus all of Led Zeppelin IV

Guns and Roses -- Appetite for Destruction

Alice in Chains -- Dirt

Blue Oyster Cult -- Workshop of the Telescopes (greatest hits)

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
@doctorthoss - Alice In Chains and Soundgarden are Heavy Metal bands. They got lumped into the grunge scene because they broke about the same time as Nirvana. Just like Pearl Jam is an Alternative band, but got lumped into the Grunge scene as well. It happens a lot. Look at Skid Row. Great Heavy Metal band but they always got lumped into the Hair/Glam Metal genre and they're not. As for Motley Cure they're a Hair/Glam Metal band. AC/DC has and always will be Hard Rock.

Jan 8, 2013
Metalheadycigarguy... I think Skid Row deserves a genre all their own. They were on the borderline of glam metal, but not quite. They were an angrier alternative to the glam scene, yet not quite heavy enough to be a straight up "metal" band. However they certainly had their moments. Slave To The Grind comes to mind. The heaviest, angriest sounding song they put out in my opinion. The whole Slave To The Grind album was great. Personally, I love Skid Row. I was a fan from the first moment they popped up.
Most kick ass, in your face, kick your teeth in, metal song by Skid Row for your viewing pleasure below...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM7IBrszcl4

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
"Slave to the Grind" is a great album, but I still think of them as a straight up Heavy Metal band. I don't see anything Glam/Hair Metal about them other then Sebastian Bach's appearance. LOL "18 and Life" is and has always been my favorite song of there's. Such a great song.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Metalheadcigarguy,

Personally, I would call all of the bands you mentioned hands-down heavy metal (except Pearl Jam and Nirvana, of course). AC/DC is not only metal to me but is one of the genre's defining giants (along with, say, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Priest, etc) and in fact it wan't until the last few years that I learned some people didn't consider them to be metal. I definitely think the glam bands were metal, just a more commercial variant of it. I kind of miss the 80s when it was pretty clear it was all metal, but hey - it doesn't matter what you call them, all these acts still rock.

And yeah -- Skid Row was freaking great. I saw them on the "Slave to the Grind" tour in '91 and was completely blown away.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Not trying to step on toes, but I consider AC/DC, Van Halen and Led Zeppelin to be hard rock, I love the hell out of them, but they aren't Metal to me, feel free to flame!

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Don't know why I'd flame you. I'd point out that, historically, there was no question they were "metal." Reviewers from the MSM panned the hell out of them because they were "metal," all the metal magazines covered them as "metal," their fan base called themselves "headbangers" and "metal heads," they toured with excessively with other clearly "metal" acts (Metaliica, Ozzy, Dio, Sabbath, etc). It wasn't until the mid-90s that I heard anyone question the metal credentials of Zeppelin, and only in the last few years that Ac/DC or Van Halen were apparently questioned. Used to be one big happy family, with these bands organizing the same festivals, tours, and such, but since the 90s it seems that "metal" has come to mean those bands that we used to call "thrash" or "hardcore." Which is fine, of course -- definitions change, music changes, whatever -- but it is a little disconcerting for old headbangers who grew up defining ourselves as "heavy metal" to all of a sudden discover that the bands who once defined the genre aren't even included in it anymore.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
That's cool, they're all just labels anyway, in the end they are all just plain old Rock'n'Roll. The critics and record companies like to dice music up into little categories they can label, but in the immortal words of Lemmy Kilmister "We are Motörhead and we play Rock'n'Roll"!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm with philobeddoe on AC/DC and Led Zeppelin. (I don't consider the Beatles to be rock, they were a pop band)

To be sure, AC/DC and Zeppelin are two of my Top 10 bands.
However, if we're deemed wrong, than "Powerage" would be my #1 album.
510oasvdvsL._SX450_PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
ISIS, Panopticon

Deafheaven, Sunbather

Agalloch, The Mantle

Nile, Annihilation of the Wicked

ISIS, Oceanic

Lord Mantis, Death Mask

Pelican, The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw

Indian, Guiltless
That's eight. And really, the first five are all that are necessary for me and metal, for now anyway. I'd gladly take along those five plus some Jaga Jazzist, Bon Iver, Wagner, Jose Gonzalez, and Tycho to get some variety.
I used to listen to tons of power metal and thrash metal and I've heard enough of it to last a lifetime.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Trailboss,

Nice!!!

BTW -- how was Uriah Heap? I grew up listening to all those groups but have a particular soft spot for them. I've heard mixed things about their concerts, so I'm curious as to what you remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.