PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I knew I could draw the metalheadycigarguy out with this. Love your videos and quick highlight of your background music.
Great stuff guys, love some of the different stuff on the lists that I've never heard of or have forgotten about (I can't remember the last time I listened to ManOWar, Ministry or Queensryche). And I also ignited the great eternal metal debate:are they or are they not metal? I usually never get into this debate and the few friends I have who are metal heads, we never get into it either. We just kick around songs and smoke cigars. Speaking of which, it's been a couple weeks since we had a sit down of Scandinavian Viking vs Death vs Black metal.

panagiotis

Lurker
Sep 17, 2014
I don't have a favorite list...I think it's worng to ahve one in the 1st place. I mean metal is awesome and I simply can't put a song or album over another one I like...It seems so bad to me... :( :/

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
August Burns Red - Messengers

The Devil Wears Prada - Plagues

Texas In July - I AM

Fit For An Autopsy - The Process of Human Extermination

Sky Eats Airplane - Everything Perfect On the Wrong Day

Being As An Ocean - Dear God (Definitely not heavy metal, but they still belong on the list)

Haste the Day - Burning Bridges (Even if just for the song Blue 42)

Impending Doom - Death Will Reign (Devil music for Jesus!)

Devildriver - The Fury of Our Maker's Hand (Seen them twice; End of the Line is one the best songs l've ever seen live and totally worth the slight concussion i received!)
All these are in no particular order, but number 1, hands down:
Norma Jean - Bless the Martyr and Kiss the Child. This album is like a nuclear bomb on music form. Its dangerous for me to listen to while driving because I go a little crazy. Whenever I have badass moments in my life, this is the soundtrack that plays in my head.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@newbroom, I love other music genres as well. My iPod has a heavy dose of different sub genres of "metaL," but also has a lot of Sinatra, Otis Redding, Al Green, Miles Davis, Marvin Gaye as well as Boston, Foreigner, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Journey, AC/DC, Van Halen, etc.
A lot of people that listen to metal also listen to other music as well because plenty of bands incorporate other sounds, especially classical elements and symphony.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Never 'got it'....guess I'm just an old pop and classic rock guy. Metal? Too industrialized.
It certainly got that way in the 80s. Everything in music is so fractured and grassroots these days that I think this has gone away. Recording at home is cheap enough and there are hundreds of little niche labels for them to put out their music through. Gone are the days of EMI or whoever giving bands five-record deals and them jet setting around and smashing hotel rooms. Good riddance, I say.

unholy1

Might Stick Around
May 4, 2014
Forgot Machine Head's Burn My Eyes and Through the Ashes of Empires. Too many good albums out there!

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Protest The Hero - Kezia

Pantera - Far Beyond Driven

Devil Driver - Fury of our Makers Hand

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Irony is a Dead Scene

Unearth - The Oncoming Storm

The Acacia Strain - 3750

Blood Has Been Shed - Spirals

The Fall of Troy - Doppelganervous

And So I Watch You From Afar - Gangs

Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve
That is my list.
@bulletsandbriar, Bless the Martyr and Kiss the Child is a fucking amazing album! I also really liked Redeemer.

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
@northernneil 3750 just missed my top ten- such a great band. I'm glad somebody else has experienced that album! Memphis Will Be Laid to Waste is a song every metalhead should experience once.

K

klause

White Zombie - La Sexorcisto

Rammstein - Reise, Reise

Rammstein - Rosenrot

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden

Slayer - South of Heaven

Deep Purple - Made in Japan

Iron Butterfly - Iron Butterfly

Hawkwind - EVERYTHING!

Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking (Ok. Ok. Not metal, but no list is complete without some Jane's, and sometimes they WERE more metal than many of the metal greats - 'nuff said).

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
A lot of people that listen to metal also listen to other music as well because plenty of bands incorporate other sounds, especially classical elements and symphony.
I know and love many who are as you describe. I just never lent my ear to much metal 'consciously'...I'm sure some of the stuff I like comes close and my tastes are eclectic as well. I simply don't 'identify' with metal or hip hop...yet I find some of each interesting and listenable. Please..don't ask me for examples. Power chords and screaming in rhythm or whatever, sound a bit of a mash to me...maybe it's cuz I lost my hearing in one ear many years ago and tuned out loud stuff for awhile till I acclimated to hearing in mono.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
If it is any consolation, my fiance can't stand the metal bands I usually listen to, especially power metal, and neither can my parents.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
No particular order:
Metallica - Master of Puppets

Slayer - Reign in Blood

Mastodon - Blood Mountain

Slipknot - The Subliminal Verses

Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast

Megadeth - Rust in Peace

Judas Priest - Painkiller

Carcass - Heartwork

Behemoth - Demigod

Sepultura - Arise

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Black Label Society - Eternal 1919

Metallica - Kill'em All

Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction

Pantera - Cowboys From Hell

Iron Maiden - Powerslave

Nevermore - Dead Heart In A Dead World

Jag Panzer - Mechanized Warfare

Down - II abustle in you hedgerow

Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

Dragonforce - Inhuman Rampage

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
@Bulletsnbriar- Haste the Day was one of my favorite bands about a decade ago; sadly, I seem to have lost the taste for metal music.
@Northernneil- the same goes for The Fall of Troy.
You guys should check out Fear Before the March of Flames- The Fall of Troy and those guys were constantly touring together back in the day.
My other favorites included:
Job for a Cowboy

Converge

Bane

Between the Buried and Me

The Number Twelve Looks Like You, and Daughters.
The last two are really kind of math-core, and would make me want to jump off a bridge if I listened to them today.
My fiance is really into Alexisonfire, White Chapel, Demonhunter, Otep, and Upon a Burning Body, to name a few.
Through the Eyes of the Dead is pretty epic too.

Jan 8, 2013
I too listen to many other styles of music, Cmdrmcbragg although Metal will always be a part of me. However, it is not something I listen to while smoking my pipes... it just doesn't fit to me. And +1 on Sinatra. I love some Ol' Blue Eyes every once in a while.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I prefer mellow tunes while piping, such as Jean Sibelius 7th symphony.

But I love metal in the morning! It goes great with redbull while waking up.

Top 10: not in any particular order.

1) Burn the Priest

2) Fantomas

3) Tomahawk

4) Slayer

5) Pantera

6) Tool

7) Lamb of God

8) Sepultura

9) Danzig

10) BlackSabbath

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Maybe not a current top ten, but more what I connected with at certain times over the years, and maybe debatable as to whether these are technically metal, but here's mine...
Entombed - Clandestine

Morbid Angel - Blessed Are the Sick

Gorguts - Obscura

Dystopia - Human = Garbage

Melvins - Ozma

Eyehategod - Dopesick

Sleep - Jerusalem

Corrupted - Tiraron el Cadaver...

Sepultura - Arise

Black Sabbath - Master of Reality (and the Ozzie years in general)

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Iron Maiden-Seventh Son

Slayer- Reign in Blood

Lamb of God- Ashes of the Wake

DRI- Thrashzone

System of a Down- ST

WASP- Fuck Like a Beast

Pantera- Vulgar Display

Twisted Sister- Under the Blade

Judas Priest- Painkiller

Warrant- DRFSR.....ya ya...
That took a while...

rx2man

May 25, 2012
While maybe not top 10 lists I think they need to be listed
Sanctuary - Into the Mirror Black

Crimson Glory - Astronomica...... May be more "Progressive" than "Heavy Metal"

Am I Blood, just about any, very old Metallica sounding
Iron Maiden, "Somewhere in time"
Suicidal Tendencies "How will I laugh Tomorrow", very interesting in that Rocky George led them from "punk" to "metal" and interesting in that Rocky George is African American, not a lot of African American lead/rhythm guitarists and he is a pretty badass guitarist.
Queensryche "Operation Mindcrime", pretty hard album to top.....

Status
Not open for further replies.