PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

demetrakopoulos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Years ago I bought some bulk tobacco from a B&M store that's no longer there. The bag smelled beautifully as it had a nice peach and apple aroma. Smoking it was like sucking on a wet towel.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Condor, Condor, and....Condor.
I enjoyed the plug.
Most of the very strong tobaccos that I have tried, e.g. XX Twist, Brown Happy Bogie, etc. taste pretty nasty to me.
They're oily plus have some of the urinal cake flavor. I find letting them dry a bit helps a lot. Slice, then leave out for some time, and then cram and burn. But they are strong in flavor.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Black XX Twist; Only stuff I've ever not even wanted to try and finish a bowl of.
First couple of bowls were good and I enjoyed them. I had a bowl last week, not so much. I'll give it another go because my first impressions were good. The tin of Bothy Flake opened at the same time disappeared rather quickly.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
They taste strongly of ass.
...and urinal cakes. Is this a theme?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/7894303/Modern-Toilet-a-toilet-themed-restaurant-chain-in-China.html
I like 'em. Happy Brown Bogie/Brown Twist Sliced, Brown No. 4, and the various brown/black Irish ropes.
But they may be an "acquired taste," an ambiguous term at best...

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Lakeland old lady perfume crap. Can't even begin to call it tobacco.
+1
I thought saying a blend smelled (ghosted gourd meerschaum) like an old lady perfume was bad of me, but if we are getting into grape jelly and urinal cakes :roll:I guess I'll take a back seat with granny! :lol:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
What makes Lakelands so infuriating is how many otherwise great tobaccos are soaked in the stuff. Urinal cakes, old lady perfume, soap and shampoo all come to mind.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
Mixture 79 brings back memories... yuck! I remember it tasting like I was smoking a bowl of Ivory soap. Just got a shiver up my spine.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I have said this recently here I think, and oddly enough I want to try it again. Granger when i smoked it a couple years ago tasted like when I sucked on a T-shirt when I was a kid, a detergenty flavor. Sutliff great outdoors tastes like the worst part of Mixture 79, fake licorice flavor only. I don't mind 79 all together, but only fake licorice/anise flavor tastes really bad to me. Kinda makes me hesitant of smoking alot of the Esoterica blends because a number say they are topped with licorice flavor.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I don't mind 79 all together, but only fake licorice/anise flavor tastes really bad to me. Kinda makes me hesitant of smoking a lot of the Esoterica blends because a number say they are topped with licorice flavor.
Snag, it may be the difference between using actual anise flavoring and a man made flavoring. I do not smoke either tobacco's but man made flavorings can have pretty weird compositions chemically. Shudder

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
^^^ Gotta teach ya how to use the quote feature. Simply copy & paste what the other person posted just as you did. Then highlight it and hit the "quote" icon and that's it! :wink:

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Same result if you...highlight-copy-left click in new post-hit quote-then paste-then quote again.
^^^ Gotta teach ya how to use the quote feature. Simply copy & paste what the other person posted just as you did. Then highlight it and hit the "quote" icon and that's it!

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
With a little patience, thought, and sensitivity, I can be trained to be a door stop :mrgreen:

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
This will sound like blasphemy to many, but to me anything marginally latakia forward tastes like ashtray and smells like cow shit and Swiss cheese to me.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Understand. Not everybodies cup of tea. Thatsbhowbmany feel of lakelands.

Sep 18, 2015
Gotta teach ya how to use the quote feature
Thank You!!!
I finished a jar of my morning (drive to work blend)the other day and decided to open a pouch of 'John Bull' that has been hiding in the back of the closet for a little over a year, (it was a promotional freebie) The chemical smell (commercial bathroom deodorant) was overpowering and it felt like it was very wet. I was fairly certain this wasn't going to end well, however I try to be open-minded so I went ahead and loaded a bowl strait out of the pouch, surprisingly it lit easily and the taste on the tongue was not as bad as I thought it might be, however the retro and the room note were horrendous, still I pressed on believing it HAD to get better, I was wrong and gave up before the halfway point. I have had better olfactory experiences cleaning out the cat box.

Mistake #2

I thought that giving this stuff a little air time might help so I set out 4-5 bowls worth on my drying board and went back to the shop, a couple hrs. later I opened the office door... 'It was bad' is an understatement. I don't know what to do with the rest of it, I'm afraid that if I throw it in the trash the city might stop picking up my garbage, I thought about tossing it in the yard but I don't want to kill the dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.