PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
crash, on another thread, asked "Does anyone use the wicks, such as the hemp wick? I've been curious if it is really a soft enough flame to make it worthwhile." - too bad you didn't bring this up at the NE/KW Holiday Party, since I carry some hemp wick in a pipe case. I could have fixed you up with some on the spot.
Although it can be fussy (need another source of fire to light the wick), hemp is unparalleled for relights at the bottom of big bowled pipes. I think the flame temp is lower than either soft butane flames and matches, which may help reduce offtastes in delicate tobaccos.
hp

les

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I use the hemp wicks on once in a while.

The hemp wick procedure is sort of ritualistic and relaxing in some way.

I light an unscented candle on the table beside my chair and use it to light the wick when needed.

The candle also adds to the relaxing ambiance of the whole experience. :puffy:

Reactions: vates

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
+1 tuold! Plus frigging one!!!
What's the best lighter for lighting a hemp wick before lighting one's pipe? Which leads to the question, what is the best hemp on which one would use the best lighter to light so as to light one's pipe?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've been using hemp wick for over a year. I find that it is second nature to flash my jet butane to the wick and it takes just a second to light.

My ashtray used to fill with matches.

I used to use a bic, and on bottom end relights, it could be awkward.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/bees-waxed-hemp-wick-pipe-lighting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Noi73ce9Q

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
You can get a free sample on various websites, with 1$ shipping or so.
Example: https://www.hempwick.com/products/hempwick-free-samples

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I've got some hemp wick but every time I pick up the lighter to light the wick I just light my pipe instead. Just lazy, I guess.
Totally agree...makes no sense to light a lighter or a match to light the hemp wick....makes more sense to just light your pipe with the lighter/match.
I have seen systems that hold the hemp wick around a Bic lighter and you simply flick your Bic to light the hemp wick but to me it still doesn't appeal.
That's why I keep an unscented candle lit when I want to use the wick. :puffy:

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
I bought hemp string yesterday, tried lighting with it, it's quite good, softer than the match flame, and you don't get the butane. Have not dipped it in the beeswax yet, gonna post pics after I am done.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
I really like my hemp wick. I posted on a similar thread, but to me the taste of the wick is cleaner and softer than anything less a match. When properly used the line is much easier to use than a unwielding flame and especially useful for deep bowl relights. I like Virginia pipe tobacco and have many deep bowled pipes. It should be noted that I made a despenser for my wick with makes using it easier.
+1 jkrug

Status
Not open for further replies.