PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I currently enjoy EMP and Presbyterian during the daytime, and Quiet Nights in the evening (occasionally Plum Pudding).

Based on those favorites, anyone care to suggest any similar blends that you'd consider favorites or "must try"?

Thanks! puffy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sample smallest available quantities of many blends. A few nominations would be Nat Sherman 536, C&D Bayou Nights and Bayou Mornings, C&D Stratfordshire, Orlik Golden Sliced, and C&D Billy Budd and Old Joe Krantz. These may all be clunkers to you, or all good, or some of each.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Sample smallest available quantities of many blends. A few nominations would be Nat Sherman 536, C&D Bayou Nights and Bayou Mornings, C&D Stratfordshire, Orlik Golden Sliced, and C&D Billy Budd and Old Joe Krantz. These may all be clunkers to you, or all good, or some of each.

Thanks! The only one of those I've tried is Golden Sliced, which I do love. So simple, yet so satisfying. Comfort food.

I'll look into the others!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It sounds like you like Oriental and Balkan blends. There are an immense amount of "comparable" blends for you to try. What do you like most about the blends you listed? What flavors are you getting that you enjoy the most?

I would recommend you branch out a bit and try some different genres. Perhaps C&D Opening Night and GLP Union Square for Virginia Flakes since they are good and readily available. There are many other great Virginia Flakes but most can be difficult to find these days. And perhaps a Virginia Perique or two. Again, there are many. I'd recommend Savinneli Doblone d'Oro and Viprati. If you can find some, Escudo. Those are generally available.

I've been enjoying Virginia Oriental a lot this year. Daughters & Ryan Ramback Gold is quite good, readily available and very economic. C&D Oriental Silk, Bijou, Orient Express and Virginia Gentleman, Robert Lewis Orcilla Mixture and one I recently tried and really like is Davidoff Royalty.

For Balkan, English/Oriental, you may try GLP Temple Bar, Gaslight, Ambignon and Westminster to name a few. If you want to try a Latakia Bomb, you could try Ashton Artisan's Blend along with C&D Pirate Kake. I'd also recommend GLP Meridian, Maltese Falcon and Chelsea Morning. C&D Dreams of Kadath, Star of the East Flake and Sunset Harbor Flake are quite good.

Everything I've mentioned are readily available with just a little searching. There are countless others that people may list as favorites but many are only available occasionally.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
@hoosierpipeguy Thanks for taking the time to write all that up!

I didn't mean to give the impression that the blends listed were all that I had. I should have been more clear.

Besides those I mentioned in the OP, I currently also have.. Reiner LGF/Blend71, Scotty's Trout Stream, Peterson Standard Mixture, Peterson Nightcap, Maltese Falcon, RO Fire Storm.

I've also tried Dan's Blue Note, SG FVF, SG Squadron Leader, SG Grousemoore, SG Commonwealth, MacBaren Mixture, MacBaren Navy Flake, Escudo, Golden Sliced, and probably some others I have forgotten.

I basically just wanted folks to consider what I am enjoying most right now, and see if those spark any thoughts of any blends that are known to be generally accepted as fantastic or must-try. Maybe it's a silly thread, sorry if so.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
@hoosierpipeguy Thanks for taking the time to write all that up!

I didn't mean to give the impression that the blends listed were all that I had. I should have been more clear.

Besides those I mentioned in the OP, I currently also have.. Reiner LGF/Blend71, Scotty's Trout Stream, Peterson Standard Mixture, Peterson Nightcap, Maltese Falcon, RO Fire Storm.

I've also tried Dan's Blue Note, SG FVF, SG Squadron Leader, SG Grousemoore, SG Commonwealth, MacBaren Mixture, MacBaren Navy Flake, Escudo, Golden Sliced, and probably some others I have forgotten.

I basically just wanted folks to consider what I am enjoying most right now, and see if those spark any thoughts of any blends that are known to be generally accepted as fantastic or must-try. Maybe it's a silly thread, sorry if so.

Most of the threads on the forum are silly when compared to real life issues/problems. How can having endless discussions about a hobby that can cost you lots of money and contribute to your earlier demise be considered anything but silly?

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
GL Pease’s Temple Bar and Abingdon are two of my favorites. Cube cut the Temple Bar and let it sit for about an hour and a half, wonderful smoke. In my experience, Abingdon improves significantly with age. In case you don’t care for it fresh, jar it up for a while.

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner
Status
Not open for further replies.