PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

john019

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2018
Came across this pipe, and the nomenclature on the side has been worn off. On the bottom is stamped "Smoking Pipe Maker", "Made in Italy", and 1984. On the other side of the shank is the Olympic rings. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks821382148215

Reactions: lightmybriar

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Last edited:

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
1984 Was the year that the Games were held in Los Angeles. Wonder what the connection is?

john019

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2018
WOW! Well mystery has been solved, and Alaskanpiper, you were 100% correct!!! Mr. Bonfiglioli returned my email:

Of course,Mr Thompson.
any years i will change the symbol of my own pipes and the logo on the stem,is a white triangle.
this pipe have been dedicated at Los Angeles olimpic games 1984.
i hope that stem are in good conditions.
sincerely
Alberto Bonfiglioli pipemaker of the world.

So instead of putting this one on the auction block, I think it is going to go into my collection for awhile!!! Thanks again for the help!!!

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Once you made contact with the maker you created another chapter in the story for that pipe. I am sucker for such and could never sell it(not that you would of course). It became more personal for you, if you get my meaning.
Just like the time I won a slow smoke and was given a Nording pipe by Eric Nording...would never sell it.

john019

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2018
Nice pipe! Quite a few dings (that could be sanded out if you are into restoration) but awesome straight grain on that front flank! Stem looks to be in great shape!
I probably will eventually. Now that it is going into the collection, making it pretty and shine are put on the back burner for a bit.

john019

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2018
Once you made contact with the maker you created another chapter in the story for that pipe. I am sucker for such and could never sell it(not that you would of course). It became more personal for you, if you get my meaning.
Just like the time I won a slow smoke and was given a Nording pipe by Eric Nording...would never sell it.
I made a print out of the email conversation, rolled it up, and put it in the bowl to stay with the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.