PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yesterday as I was driving to the ice rink my iPod Classic just died. All the sudden it stopped playing music and shut down completely. So I did the whole reset thing and when I did that it ended up having none of my music on it. After having to listen to the radio on the way home, bleh, I started messing around with it lastnight for a few hours. So far all I've gotten to is restoring it only to have it say again and again "It is in recovery mode restore it". Was curious if anyone's had this problem with their iPod and can help before I put a Voodoo curse on the Apple Empire.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
How old is it? Probably the hard drive failed in which case, you can either get a new iPod of look around for iPod hard drives and replace it. It's a relatively easy thing to do if I remember correctly.
-Jason

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I'd take it to one of the Apple stores in the area. They are usually quite good on the customer service end of things. Hope it is just something minor.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah that's my hope. Plan on taking it in first thing tomorrow morning, well 10AM the store opens around then. Just bugs me that I can't figure out the reason it keeps popping up that it's in "recovery mode" and I need to restore it after I've restored it and it has told me that it has been reset. My guess was I didn't download the latest update, but at that screen it says I have the most up to date version and it'll be looking for another update on the 10th.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I just goy my Itiunes acct hacked from China by way of Yahoo!. The good news is the money will be returned to me. The bad news is iTunes/Apple were such "See You Next Tuesdays" about the dispute process that I will never have any further dealings with them and if I meet the first rep I spoke with on the phone (and I am ALWAYS polite and patient with call center slaves workers, having been one myself) I will personally use their skin to wallpaper the area above my pipe rack.

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
Hold the case up to your ear and press play. Does it make a ticking noise as it tries to boot? If so, it's a hard drive failure. I've heard that giving it a good whack or dropping it can sometimes "unstick" the drive but if it's still under warranty, the Apple Store should service it for you. It happened to my 80GB POS iPod Classic. I only recovered about 2GB of space on this paperweight. I opened the case on mine so warranty is void. Happily, replacement drives are plentiful on the internet and I plan on getting one once I scrape the cash together. This was the first - and last Apple product I ever purchased. They truly are evil. :evil:

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
But in all seriousness, it could either be that you got a faulty hard drive. Its unfortunate, but if its under warranty you'll be in the clear.
My last iPod went when a mug of coffee exploded on it and it fried itself. Alas, no warranty on that one.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Have to give it up to Apple. Took it in, got an "appointment", and an hour later they just replaced it. The employee didn't even ask for the warranty or receipt. Just said, "Oh, the hard drive's shot. It says we have it instock though, so I'll just get you another one." I now have a newfound respect for Apple. The guy agreed that after ten months the hard drive should not die like that. I still have my original iPod that came out in like '04 or '05 that still runs. Only reason I got the new iPod is because the earphone jack is messed up in the old one. Definitely loved the help and getting a new replacement one for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.