PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I've added a Pete 314 to my collection and I need some help with dating it.
The stamping is (or was) "Made in the Republic of Ireland" in block letters over 3 lines and 314 below that.
On the other side is "Peterson system Standard"
Its mounted in silver (a magnet won't stick, so I assume its silver) with " K&P Petersons" stamped on, but there are no hallmarks.
What I know for sure is that its post 1949, but I wonder if I can narrow it down any further. Any help is appreciated.
img_0409-450x600.jpg

img_0410-450x600.jpg

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Short of having a receipt of purchase, there's really no way to narrow down the date other than a republic era Pete.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
If I have read the experts correctly, the "Made in the Republic of Ireland" stamp was phased out beginning in 1998. That still leaves you with a wide range of possible dates...

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Thanks guys,
The seller indicated that he bought it as an estate pipe some years back and at that time the original owner said it was bought new in either late 60's or early 70's. I was hoping there might be some distinguishing marking or styling that would confirm that era.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Unless the mount is 'hallmarked' it's nickel.
Also, pre-1990 mounts have three stamped logos, a harp, a lady and a shield, regardless if they are silver or not.
I'm betting it's a post 1990 pipe.
Link

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Hey unkleyoda, thanks for the input.
I'm a bit confused though...Nickel is a ferromagnetic metal and a magnet will not stick to the band on the pipe. So, unless Peterson uses metals other than nickel and silver, it has to be silver. Does Peterson indeed use other metals that may be plated?
As far as the logo stamps go, what you're saying is that if the metal band does not have any logos stamped on it, this is an indication that the pipe was produced after 1990?

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I just tested all my Peterson System Standard pipes, I have 7, a magnet did not stick to any of them. I have no idea what metal they use, but the call it a nickel mount.
As far as silver, by Irish law, silver has to be 'hallmarked', to prove content and authenticity.
As far as the three logos, yes no logos is modern era Peterson. So as far as my knowledge of Peterson Pipes, your's is 1990 or newer.
It is a nice looking pipe.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Looks like it time to do a bit of research about exactly what kind of metal they use on the bands then...I'll report back if I find anything :)
It's my second Pete. I own a 307 that is pre republic. I loved the P-lip immediately and the styling but wanted a small pipe for walks and fishing.
What does not show in the pictures is the abused rim on the pipe. Someone has obviously reamed the top edge badly and then tried to sand it down. Its not as bad as it looks and just taking it down maybe 1-2 mm will clean it up completely, but I'm too afraid to to it. I got the pipe for a steal, it smokes great and the rim is the only visible flaw (which I consider strictly cosmetic) so I'm not too eager to spend any money on it
img_0412-450x600.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.