PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd just go with emotions. If systems, P-Lip, bent, or a particular finish are calling, do it. Or if a pipe with none of the above calls out to you, be fearless.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks all. Very encouraging and many of you confirmed my leanings. System, P-lip, Bent, and something Shiny(nickel or silver). I’ll post when I make up my mind.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I bought a P-lip Forever Stem for my cob pipes quite a while ago.
This was an inexpensive way to try the P-lip stem without buying an entire Peterson pipe.

I’m not sure what I learned except I did not go the next step and buy a Peterson P-lip pipe. I didn’t object to the P-lip stem, but I didn’t fall in love with it either. It’s a different clench.

I can’t remember the last time I used it, but I will give it another try before next pipe club meeting.

I'm not a Peterson purist, as you may detect. I've had no quality problems with lower and mid-market Petes. All mine are fishtail except the one. I don't have any "system" pipes. I suspect my problem free purchases are from responsible online retailers who had the clout to get good pipes, places like SP, PC, and Iwan Ries, that may also have a quality control screening of their own. Otherwise I don't know how I would have come through the time when Petes had regular q.c. complaints.

I have 8 petes and the only problem I have experienced was a band that was not properly glued came off. Simple fix. The rest have been perfect and smoke perfectly. They are a great value for a good pipe.

Reactions: Bengel

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Confirmed:

The Peterson P-Lip is a special mouthpiece designed and patented by Charles Peterson himself. It was originally meant to be a part of the Dry System's design. ... Instead of directing smoke onto the tongue, like most mouthpieces do, it directs smoke towards the roof of the mouth
Well...DUH!? Thanks, that makes too much sense!

Rethink your methods, not which stem you are using.
Yeh... you know me... always promoting puffing like a freieght train.. ha ha. (/sarcasm)

No, if you are not used to having smoke directed right onto the roof of your mouth, it may be the most sensitive part of your mouth, IMHO.
These things always seemed to set point blank on the roof of my mouth. I did a post years ago about how to use a file to turn a P-lip into a fishtail. But, we aren't supposed to pull up old posts now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jttnk, 'sounds like you've found your Peterson groove. I'll look forward to knowing what you do.

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
I have a few Peterson Pipes but the ones I been smoking more lately are my Sherlock Holmes Bakersville and the non-traditional design Peterson Jekyll & Hyde Two Tone X105. The Peterson Jekyll & Hyde you can find it new for less than $100 and it's a great smoke. Both pipes have the P-lip mouthpiece. I'd day the Sherlock Holmes gives a cooler smoke and it's easier to for me to clench while I'm working than the Jekyll & Hyde.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Yes, I agree if I pull too hard for too long and I am bound to get bitten. Which is a personal problem I know. It happens mostly what I am doing something other than smoking my pipe, like cutting the lawn or hedging.

This is another reason why I tend to shy away from straight Virginias.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The smoke should be directed into the upper teeth. If the smoke is directed to the roof of the mouth, you've got the pipe stuck way to far into your mouth. As I clench, the tip of the the bit, any bit, vary rarely passes my teeth. Don't know if I painted a decent picture. Hope so. The pipe rests so the smoke either goes up into the upper teeth (P-Lip) or is directed back along the teeth (fishtail), usually not across the tongue. I'm not doing a "wine" tasting nor, a "blend" tasting. I'm casually smoking as I go about my business, getting nicotine and enough taste to enjoy the tobacco.

If you are smoking while working, as I do, forget you've got the pipe clenched and/or get into better shape so you aren't "panting" from the exertion. Or, work slower. Wee sips, normal breathing works for me. I generally breath through my nose or, around the bit, not, through the pipe. I can, sometimes unintentionally "over do it". But, never to the point where I am sucking heavily on the pipe, heavily enough to burn tongue or mouth. I never have my lips "sealed" around the bit.

Reactions: SpookedPiper
Status
Not open for further replies.