Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Okay everyone, I am looking to pick up a hand gun. I have two that are locked up in a gun safe at my parents house (my grand father gave them to me) but the are both revolvers, and I am looking for something with a clip. I plan on using it mainly at a range once a week, it will also stay loaded in my nightstand for home protection, and I will possible use it for my CC. The main problem I am having is there are so many choices out there and I am just not that versed when it comes to hand guns. I have a few in mind... Glock 17 9mm? Colt 1911? etc.... I am just not certain what would fit my needs and be under $600. Any help would be much obliged!

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
Well, for starters do you live in a duplex or apartment building? If so then you probably don't want to use a pistol for home protection as the bullet could travel through a wall/ceiling/floor etc. That aside, whatever you decide I would suggest crossing the prices against this website, Cheaper Than Dirt, they ship to a local authorized gun dealer in your area. From what I am told by friends and my father's friends (who buy way too many guns lol) is that they have some of the best prices around. I am no gun expert and am just getting into the hobby but I have done some research on guns for home protection.

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
I'd stay away from magnum calibers living in an apartment. the ability to go through walls is higher as wallbright said. liability becomes an issue in during self defense.

That being said... I carry a .45 most days. My favorite is a WWII version by Springfield just because it's the closest and simplest to what I carried in service. gotta love it. Sometimes I carry it's nemesis a Bulgarian Makarov. caliber 9x18.

Slightly larger than a .380 but more powerful and that gun can take a beating.

There's nothing wrong with revolvers and having a speed-loader or two around. What ever you choose, get some practice time in with it. And then get in some practice every few months at least.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
The solution to wallbright's issue is "hollow points" won't travel to far once it hits something.
Kimber is an out standing conceal carry weapon . ultra cdp 2 .45 , but a little pricey at $1200.
They have recently. Come out with a lovely 9mm (kimber solo). About the size of the .380 , but its 9mm and kimber.....under $700
I've heard good things about SigSaur, I'll probably consider them the next time I'm ready to purchase. ....price point and availability of used
Of course if I wasn't worried about concealment, id absolutley look for a dble Stack .45..

standardgewehr

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2011
Pistols are like pipes. Pretty much any major manufacturer (and most of the smaller ones) will build a reliable, durable, accurate firearm. I suggest finding a range that does handgun rentals, and try a few yourself. The difference in ergonomics, dimensions, and firing behavior between various makes, models, and calibers is indescribable. Just between the Glock and 1911 you mention there is a world of difference... yet many similarities. Anything from Glock, Ruger, Beretta, Colt, S&W, Sig Sauer, H&K, etc. won't let you down if in good repair, and all can be found (at least used) within your price range. Be careful with the 1911s, some makers are fantastic, some are craptastic, and it's not always based on price.
Even for a big dude size is a concern for a concealed carry piece. Trust me, a big carry piece becomes a damn boat anchor after a while. I know, I've carried a primary and backup daily for the past 17 years and gone through numerous makes/models/calibers looking for the perfect piece. Look at the Glock 17, the 19, and the 26 (standard, compact, subcompact.) My recommendation would be to look at the Glocks, and consider 9mm. Light recoil, cheap ammo, easy to learn, easy to maintain, easy to find holsters and other accessories... and the holster makes a world of difference when carrying... but look at and shoot as many different makes/models and calibers as you can. Glocks are generally reasonable and you stand a better chance of getting a new one in your price range than some other makes... you probably won't find a reputable 1911 new for $600.00 these days.
Right now, personally, I have a Glock 17 for those heavy days, a 19 for daily carry, a 26 for light days, and a Ruger LCP .380 for backup and "a gun to carry when I'm not carrying a gun." 9mm will do anything you need it to do, it's all about shot placement. A mild caliber you can hit with is better than a super magnum you miss with.
I have a fair bit of professional and recreational firearms knowledge, feel free to IM with any specific questions. I assume there are IMs on this forum?
Oh, by the way... the detachable ammo feeding device on a modern semi-automatic pistol is a "magazine", a clip is something different (even if Hollywood doesn't differentiate.)
Good luck with your search!

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
The solution to wallbright's issue is "hollow points" won't travel to far once it hits something.
I think the liability is in if you miss and it goes through a shared wall or something. I don't doubt that a hollow point wouldn't travel far after hitting a perpetrator but like I said I am afraid of what happens if the perp. strikes you or something out of the ordinary happens and you miss and it goes through a wall or something. I am a very cautious person though so I might just be overly worried and I mean no disrespect by any of this.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
I was not refering to a perp. Hollow points are just polite, and used to protect your neighbors from errant shots

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Maybe the stories I have heard are higher caliber guns then? Or maybe I am mistaken. I just had always been given the advice to use a shotgun for home protection rather than a handgun.

standardgewehr

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2011
It all depends on what you stoke your shotgun with. Slugs or larger buckshot will go through a lot of drywall, as will pistol bullets... even hollowpoints. HPs tend to plug up with drywall and penetrate like solid bullets would.
It's counterintuitive but the rounds that penetrate the least in residential situations are high velocity small bore rifle rounds like .223 / 5.56mm, the same ones that penetrate body armor and steel so well... they are so lightly constructed and fast, they tend to break up and penetrate the least in building materials. Really though, unless you're shooting birdshot (a bad defense choice except at very close range) you're gonna pierce walls.
Of course the best way to insure the safety of your fellow occupants is to hit the bad guy instead of the wall. Bad guys slow down bullets real good.

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
I carry a S&W 40 VE which is a 40 cal and cost under $300. It's reliable and you can't be mad at that price for something to just have around the apartment and go to the range with. The Walther P99 feels REALLY good in the hand (and I also have very large hands) and is pretty awesome. For home protection I'd go with a shotgun. I've been meaning to get a Mossberg for a while now but my pipe funds have cut into my gun funds. Based on this thread I'd guess that they go hand in hand more than I thought.
I'm with standardgewehr on the rental deal. A lot of ranges have rental guns you can try out. Also, depending on where you live, I'd say hit up a gun show and check some guns out. See how they feel in your hand. The feel goes a long way in my opinion.

lagavulin92

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2010
Glock 17 for the following reasons:
It falls right into your price range.
You help the ailing Austrian economy with that purchase,

especially when you love it and decide to buy dozens of it :P.
It's ultra-reliable and ultra-safe. Not having to worry about

the handling is nice when you are in distress and will improve your

performance in those extreme conditions.
17 rounds of 9mm is good firepower unless the assailant is out for you.
It's rather accurate.
It will last you many times longer than other guns and the maintenance

is negligible.
As a plus the grip is big, too, so it will fit well in your palm.

shotokun16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Hey Bubba:
http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45#p/u/14/ri5AyXzxb4o
I shot this a couple times and i was like a kid in a candy store.

Sorry for the sound quality but his Glock 19 (second video) has a better sound quality. Hes a pretty tall guy too with big hands.
and 41:10 minutes of GLOCK HISTORY!

http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45#p/search/2/ddP7IHHnM4A
Enjoy whatever gun you get!

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
I've been very happy with my Glock 27 .40 cal. It's a sub-compact but fits my hands nicely with the magazine extensions. It's a great choice for concealed carry.

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
Check out the Beretta 92fs. It's the gun the U.S. Military and NATO picked.

One of the most tested handguns in the world. They make tons of accessories

for it (Holsters, internal laser sights, hi-cap mags}.
Whatever you choose, don't forget to post some pics.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
I have been a Glock man for years but Taurus has just some out with a new one that I am looking at. It can fire either .44 or 410 shells and it's a pistol that even a woman can handle. For home protection, a pistol with 410 buckshot shells would be hard to beat.

sargesmoke

Lurker
Mar 9, 2011
Really like the Springfield Armory XD line. Good pointer, nice shooting and won't break the bank. You get alot of goodies with a new XD too. Good home defense handgun.
http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php

Status
Not open for further replies.