PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtgallet

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
I want to buy myself a Christmas gift (seeing as nobody will buy me a pipe) and this time I want to buy a pipe from one of the 2 big pipe makers. I am choosing between a Peterson Aran 87 smooth apple and Savinelli Piazza Di Spagna 207 smooth apple. I obviously want a smooth apple and I would like the pipe to be on the shorter side (both height and length). I know this is a topic that has been brought up one too many times (peterson vs savinelli), but I respect all of your opinions and I want some info with regards to these 2 specific pipes and the brands in general. So what will it be?

This Peterson: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181231333084&fromMakeTrack=true

or this Savinelli: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181122422932

Which one and why? Also, just because i used these links, doesn't mean I will be purchasing off of ebay. I'm down to use any retailer who has these pipes and will ship to Canada. Thanks in advance!

mtgallet

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
I figured they should probably both be good pipes. Someone in another thread mentioned that peterson has quality control issues? is this true?

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Neither. Wait till the right smooth apple comes up as an estate on eBay at half the cost of what that Peterson is at right now. The hunt is pretty fun.

mtgallet

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
escioe, i know the hunt is fun, but I for some reason generally avoid estate pipes. Plus, I am hoping (fingers crossed) to hear about a promotion by the end of this week/beginning of next and this is to be my gift to myself so I want it ready and ordered on the day I find out!

philobeddoe does't the savinelli accept adapters to avoid using a filter?

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
If you are stuck with the decision of the style, you are deciding on two of the most owned factory pipes on this forum: Peterson and Savinelli's represents a huge showing in many of the contributors. You won't be making a mistake on either one. Pick the one that calls your name, and you'll do just fine.
Shutterbug
p.s: The Savinelli does come with an adapter, and half of the Savinelli's that I own I use the balsa, and the other half I don't. Depending on the model, the filter makes a huge difference in sopping up moisture and terrible tastes. Don't let that deter you though.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
The black tube on top of the balsa filters is an adapter. I have a few Savs, but I don't use the filters or the adapter. I personally would choose the Savinelli.

mtgallet

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
To be quite honest, they both speak to me. I just don't want to buy 2 pipes that are almost identical, so if I but the sav, then my next purchase will be a peterson in a different shape or vice versa. Ideally I'd like one of these 2 then down the road another pipe, perhaps a bent or a canadian.

latbomber

May 10, 2013
I'd personally go for the Peterson, nice flame and no filter. But Savinelli would smoke just as well.

allenz

Lurker
Feb 14, 2013
I would go with the Savinelli. The seller of that Savinelli you are looking at, Tobaccopipes, is one of the forum sponsor I believe. The price on their own site is normally lower so you might want to take a look.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
that would be a tough decision.. I would probably go with the Pete but would be very happy with either gilfed to me.

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
If you're going to buy a Sav down the road and it were me, I'd go for the Peterson and then pick up a Savinelli Author. But that's just my preference. I have more Petersons than Savinellis but that's only because its been easier for me to find Petersons (and I'm Irish). I like to touch and hold a pipe before buying. However, I would buy a Savinelli online. They are great pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll go back and read the other posts, but before I do that, I will give you my opinion. I'd go with the

Peterson. The Savenelli is a sure bet and would be a wonderful pipe, no question. Personally, I'm

not that fond of filters, or the Sav filter adaptor for that matter; I buy their unfiltered pipes, which

I value a lot. There have been some problems reported with Peterson quality control, but I have been

lucky with Petersons, and the problems are a small percent. Besides, I just prefer the appearance of

the Peterson in this case. If you wanted a Savenelli, I'd look at the Oscar Lucite line; my favorite shape

is the 404, but I believe they have a selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.