PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I'm with dryseason on this one. We've heard a lot about the quality issues with the lower end Peterson's but you rarely hear anything about quality issues with any price level Savinelli.

mtgallet

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Damn, im torn! I think I like the way the peterson looks just a little bit better, but after hearing about the quality control issues I am reluctant to buy one online. Also, I cant find a website that stocks that exact peterson sells tobacco and delivers to canada. I want to put through an order with a tin of something new. For now its looking like savinelli, but that could change.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Damn, im torn! I think I like the way the peterson looks just a little bit better, but after hearing about the quality control issues I am reluctant to buy one online.
I am a big fan of Peterson, but this is a concern, esp from a generic pipe model photo (which means you have no idea what you're getting). If you like this Pete, get it through smokingpipes.com. They guarantee their pipes (i.e. if you should experience a burn out or other problem within the first 6 mos - maybe a year, can't recall) and shipping is free for anything over $100.
Plus you can ask them to inspect the pipe before sending. Questions to ask:
1. Are there any fills?

2. Is the draft hole drilled properly and will it pass a fluffy pipe cleaner?
And if they don't have that model in stock, they will get it for you.
Once rec'd, inspect it very carefully yourself before smoking. For me, it is imperative that you like the pipe, so if the Sav is a "close but no cigar", go for the Pete.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I agree completely with Six about smokingpipes.com, I've used them several times and they're top notch!
As for Peterson QC problems, I know some guys are having them, but I've had pretty good luck with them myself. I have 14 Petersons and 3 Savs, all of them are good smokers. Granted, a couple of them have minor fills, but they are minuscule and do not effect the smoking qualities of the pipes.

That being said, one of my three Savs also has fills, more so than any of my Petes as a matter of fact, but it still smokes fine.
By the way, the Aran line from Pete is one of my favorites. I have two from that line, an "03" and an "XL02", both are full bent apples and both are P-lip pipes. They are both among my best smoking bent pipes!

mtgallet

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Hmmm something to think about. So smokingpipes.com will order something that they do not carry? That could be the deal breaker

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I'd say the Pete as well, but I'd much prefer a silver band. I think it would make me feel better about any quality control issues.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I have to say and i might get burned for this but ive owned both a Sav and a Pete and i didn't particularly like the way either of them smoked i found the draw to be way to constricted. ofcourse it may just have been the two i got but it has threw me off buying other ones.
That being said pretty much everyone on here would disagree with me so i would say pick the one you like the look of the most. The pete is a better option cause you dont need to buy filters IMO and i find they hold there value a bit better when it comes to resale. Just saying you may be like me and want a more open draw out of your pipe.

mtgallet

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
I think I do like the peterson, but just a tad more than I do the savinelli. I guess I have to call smokingpipes.com and see if they can get it for me because I cant find an online retailer that carrys it, stocks tobacco (I want to order a few tins) and delivers to canada

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would go with the Sav all day over the Pete, but that is just me. Here are some other options you might want to think about.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/mastro-de-paja/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=130787

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/mastro-de-paja/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=116370

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/italy/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=133646

http://www.smokershaven.com/english-estate-pipe-charatan-lane-era-charatan-s-make-special-bent-apple.aspx

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/radice/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=133869

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/radice/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=133886

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I don't think you will go wrong with either pipe. They are both good pipe companies and really comes down to your personal choice. That being said I own more Petes than Sav's but I don't use a filter in any of them! Good luck and happy smoking!! :puffpipe:

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm prejudiced, being a Peterson fan, but I'd go with the Pete if you like a more robust pipe. No issues with filters either, less complicated. My Peterson Irish Harp is a billiard but very similar to this pipe otherwise, and I love it. Passes the pipe cleaner test effortlessly.

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
I would help lad but those are both straight pipes.

Are you quite sure you " really " want to go striaght?

If so I cannot advise you.
SC

mtgallet

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
So... The promotion is a go and Christmas is just around the corner. I decided that I perhaps would like to up the stakes a tad.

What do you all think about this pipe instead?

http://pipesandcigars.com/peascu87fi.html#.UrFGiCfWt24
Based on the links I provided, I think its obvious what style I am looking for, I dont want to spend much more than $150 so if anyone has any better ideas, please fill me in.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
I have a very modest pipe collection, no Savinelli's but 3 petersons and I can state that all 3 of them are really good smokers. Ok all 3 of them were quite expensive, but certainly worth their price. :puffy:
Though if no pipe takes your fancy I would wait. I only purchase pipes if I become infatuated with them, if I spend every moment thinking and dreaming about the pipe/pipes. Thats why at the moment I'm breaking in two Mark Twains in which was a moment of severe wallet oops :oops: , though I have no real regrets they are gorgeous.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
There are quite a few commenters who've urged you to go with what speaks to you ... I join them in urging you in that direction ... BUT, if you are hesitant about either, Harris has made some outstanding suggestions (above) ...
I took a look at the other offerings from that eBay seller ... the one that not only speaks, but sings to me is:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brebbia-Ninja-Sabbiata-8311-Tobacco-Pipe-/171192208582?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27dbd9ccc6
But, you gotta like it since you're the one who's gonna be smoking it ...

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I think there are only 2 questions that matter:
1) Should you have expectations that the pipes are well crafted and not duds? Yes, both pipes should be fine, especially if you go over the questions that Numbersix discussed above. Despite the reoccurring threads about Peterson around here, both manufacturers make nice pipes that are well built. Especially if you buy from smokingpipes.com, then I wouldn't have particular concerns about the craftmanship. I have 6 Petersons and they are all well built without any problems. I have 2 Savinellis and they are as equally well built. All 8 pipes are nice, not the best nor the worst in my collection.
2) Which do you like better? Once you answer #1 in the affirmative, then this is the only one that matters.
However, my stock answer for this sort of question is usually that $150 buys a really nice estate pipe.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey mtgallet, I hope this isn't too big a bubble burster, but Pipes & Cigars doesn't ship to Canada. So unless you have a US post box, or some enterprising friend who will ship it to you, you're SOL on the P&C sale.
That being said, there are lot of good deals on pipes at the moment. I, like most of the folks above, think you should buy the pipe that speaks to you best.
And...
However, my stock answer for this sort of question is usually that $150 buys a really nice estate pipe.
-- Pat

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
One thing we haven't talked about is stem material. I much prefer vulcanite, so the Pete would get the nod from me. The Sav has an acrylic stem, I believe.
Plus I just love Petes.

Status
Not open for further replies.