PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
Well, I've fallen into the hole once again. I was in search of a Peterson but after some recommendations I've broadened my scope, I also am no longer looking for only a smooth pipe as I've seen some really interested rusticated pipes....so help me choose! (Opinions welcomed! Diclaimer: I'm horribly indecisive so generally I end up leaning towards the advice of others for decisions such as these!)
Brebbia Rustica Nera

Brebbia-MPB-Naif-Rustica-Nera-7013-9MM-Filter-pipe-234-Brebbia-234-Alpascia-img-163620-w1100-h452.jpg

Briar Works Classic

BriarWorks-Classic-Series-Bent-Billiard-Dark-Rusticated-pipe-021-BriarWorks-Classic-Series-021-Alpas-img-136786-w1100-h480.jpg

Brigham Chinook Sandblast

002-491-1915.jpg

Peterson St. Patricks Day 2013

Peterson-St-Patricks-Day-pipe-1308-Peterson-1308-Alpascia-img-111171-w1100-h594.jpg

Rattray's Kelpy

Rattrays_Kelpy_60_Tobacco_Pipe_left__71900.1458066271.1280.1280.jpg

I'm open to more! Send pictures too :D
I just have a hard time deciding usually

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
Also quite fond of this one, but it's a bit over my budget :/
Peterson POTY 2017
002-029-33076.jpg

May 4, 2015
The top Brebbia Rustica Nera seems the most enticing to me. The rest of them I have issues with, most of them minor and having to do with personal preference.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Brebbia has the most pizzazz, but none of these turns me off, though by comparison they are pretty routine. Second choice would be the Briar Works, though there is something going on on the lower left of the bowl, just an imperfection, but there it is. The Brigham may take maple rock inserts, one more thing to buy, though some really like them. The Peterson is fine; I like mine.

poppabear

Lurker
Aug 6, 2017
I love my rusticated pipes. I find they smoke a little cooler.... must be something to do with all that extra surface area.

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
Yeah, they are pretty routine, but mainly because of my budget, it seems difficult to find really sharp looking pipes under 100, they all generally have the same look and treatment.
What do you see on the Briar Works? My eyes aren't adept at spotting imperfections in pipes yet.
I admit the Brebia seems to be the most unique out of the bunch and I do quite like it. I am in need of a black/rusticated pipe.....even though originally I was searching for a smooth.

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
@pipesmokingtom
what issues do you have with them? It's nice to hear so I can learn to discern differences in pipes. As it is right now I tend to like a few style, I'm not a fan of a lot of colors or anything super intricate, at the same time, the traditional medium brown/reddish stain and black stem also bore me.
I like them to have a little bit of character but not too much, I do tend to gravitate towards darker colors, but in instances like that Peterson Clontarf I liked, the blonde wood just stands out to me especially with the little birdseye grain it had.
I don't mind blonde sandblasts either as I've seen in some Italian made pipes.
I'd say the pipes I like with the most intricacies seem to be that or Nording and also Winslow Crown Viking series....of which I am particularly fond of....

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I am absolutely sure you will enjoy whichever one you choose.
Its not going to be your last pipe ever.
Pick one, enjoy it and when the budget allows, pick another one and enjoy it every bit as much

wilson34

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2017
I love the Peterson St Pat's day. I have the 2016 model and it is by far my best smoker, and comfortable in my hand.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
AS Bassbug said so it be, and then You bous in the States you have plenty of model from which to choose

well If I were having me one of tjses, I'd probably have that Rattrays(note-they produced somewhere in France-headquarters in Germany and usually have a bit narrower air flow/draw a la mode francaise, but are good I currently have two of those) my second choice would be the Peterson St Patrick,but there again,inspect it throughly prior to smoke should you need to send it back,in my experience medium price range Petersons tend to vary in quality,but if all checks up they'll serve you long enough

and finally, Brebbia pipes offer good value for money, down the road I may consider having one of those for myself,,but not now.

Jun 27, 2016
I have the exact Brebbia and it smokes very well. You can find that in a bent shape as well, but I like the straight ones better, so that's what I bought. Mine had a crack in the chamber because the seller snookered me by sending me a different pipe than what he posted online, but I fixed it and it seems to be doing fine. One thing that I learned through that was that if you are in the US (like me) and buy the pipe from overseas (like I did) and you want to make a warranty claim (like I wanted to), the pipe doesn't go back to the US distributor, it's got to go back to where you bought it from overseas. That's mainly why I fixed mine on my own. So, if you found that pipe state-side and really want to buy it, you'll have less hassle if you need to send it in for a warranty claim. If it's coming from overseas, first consider what you would have to do if you need to make a warranty claim, and decide from there. :puffy:

May 4, 2015
Like I said, it's minor stuff that I personally don't mesh with. Since you asked though:
BriarWorks: Just personally not a fan of vertical wire rustication like that.

Brigham: The stem seems underbent to me and doesn't look comfortable. The finish is also very matte.

Peterson: Not a fan of the stain on that particular pipe.

Rattray's: The stem/shank fitment is sloppy.

Other Peterson: It's a cutty. Not a fan.

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
@pipesmokingtom
The discerning gentleman! lol Good points.....what is a cutty?
Also, I agree with the comment about the Briham, although I don't think it would bother me all too much.
I personally love that wire-vertical rustication, to me at least, it's really neat I prefer it to more jagged looking rustication.
I do see the issue with the stem/shank on the Rattray's maybe it wasn't secured all the way for teh picture?

May 4, 2015
I personally love that wire-vertical rustication
Hard to describe my distaste for it. To me it just looks "cheap" maybe? I don't know.
A cutty or "devil Anse" is generally that shape with the forward cant to the bowl. I don't prefer extreme forward cants like that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Briar Works is a brushed rustication, but there is a loop in the rustication toward the bottom of the bowl. It's an imperfection, but I doubt it is a flaw, likely would have no effect. Irregularities in pipes can give them character. The Japanese all but require them, in the Zen tradition. In the tea ceremony, much time is spent admiring the tea service especially the irregularities.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Briarworks makes great, reliable pipes. i don't really like the wire brush rustication but there are several classic pipes hat are inexpensive and looks great, like the prince and bull cap.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Personally, I'd go with the Brebbia. Peterson has had so many quality control issues I 'd rather not take the chance. The Rattray's shows an uneven gap between the end of the shank and the beginning of the stem, a sign of poor workmanship. The Brigham sandblast is so subtle that it feels like a "why bother". Don't care for the Briarworks finish at all. I loves me Brebbia. Great pipes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If it weren't for the gap in the Rattray's, I'd go for that one. Otherwise, the Brebbia would be my choice, or the Pete, if I could inspect before purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.