PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I was initially drawn to straight pipes. My Stanwell 185 was an early purchase despite that.
It's my biggest and heaviest pipe, but the shape has really grown on me, as it hangs so effortlessly from my pie hole.
Based on that, the two curved pipes would get my vote.
jay-roger.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I am partial to the classicism of the Peterson St. Patrick's, but as I will never forgive them for "dipping," and as I am a snob demanding that pipes be made by artisans, I will never buy a Peterson. The whimsy of my pipe preferences also allows me to smoke a dozen cheap pipes without reference to the opinion just stated.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I bought that exact Peterson POY. It is a great smoker but I was not impressed by the drilling for the price. It will not pass a pipe cleaner. for my money I would choose the Brebbia.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Poor drilling is inexcusable when the maker's poor quality control nonetheless releases it for sale. It's the first thing I check when I buy a pipe. In this matter Pipestud told me that pipes smokes fine when the entrance to the bowl is somewhat right or left but not when above the bottom of the bowl. I have several pipes with that entrance lower than usual, but I notice no impairment.
I've heard this about Peterson before. Another reason to continue the boycott.

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
I still don't know what to choose....although, I think I've ruled out the Brigham and the Rattray's one...although I would call TobaccoPipes and see if the stem and shank are really like that, maybe it just wasn't pushed in during the photo. I've dealt with them before and they have great customer service they are local to Florida too.
I think it's down to the 2 Peterson's and that Brebbia.
Seems like the Brebbia is the fan favorite around here :)

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Weird. I thought the Brigham was quite attractive. Really depends on what you're looking for, though, and it didn't look like there was a bad one in the batch.

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
@deathmetal
The Brigham was nice, but as pointed it there are many pipes that look almost identical, and also it has the maple rock inserts so I'm not sure what that is or if I wanna tinker with that.
I've removed and now also added some more to the list, did I mention I was horrendously indecisive? lol

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
@bassbug
I agree, I also think I'm upping my budget and picking up the POTY 2017 from smokingpipes. The more I look at it, the more I like it.
002-029-32717.jpg

I really like it, I even had them send me more pictures of it and it's flawless it's 200 though so it's a substantial increase to my under 100 budget....but, oh well! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.