PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
New member here and new pipe smoker.
I got my first pipe a month or so ago. Its a Lorenzetti Constantine and, considering I had no clue what I was doing, it turned out OK. After a mildly frustrating couple of weeks I now pack the pipe consistently and smoke a bowl down to the final ash in about 45 minutes without tongue bite or over heating. The Lorenzetti smokes cool and dry. I only smoke an average of one bowl a day, but usually 2 on weekends.
Now that I'm somewhat comfortable with the whole idea and enjoying the smoke, I'd like to get a second pipe so I can alternate and give each one a day's rest.
I'm on a somewhat limited budget and considering either a Peterson Standard or a similarly priced Savinelli as I've heard they are both decent. I like a bent pipe in a billiard style and I lean to smooth rather than rusticated finishes.
So....what would you choose and why?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This Rossi Siracusa.
002-577-1649.jpg

https://m.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/rossi/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=200496
Rossi is a subsidiary of Savinelli who makes very good quality pipes, this one is a looker, and very affordable at $80. :wink:

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
If your buying online I'd be looking at Savinelli. Peterson pipe whilst fine smokers have quality issues at times and need to be handled before buying.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"So....what would you choose and why?"
That's rather like asking a stranger what you should have for breakfast...knowing little or nothing of your likes and dislikes.
I would suggest browsing the online catalogues of the many internet sellers to get an idea of what might tickle your fancy. Most of the site sponsors are pipe dealers so they could be a good starting point.
Welcome to the forum by the way :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I wonder how far you live from a tobacconist ? I would suggest that you check out pipes in person. How does it feel? How is it drilled? These questions can only be answered before purchasing in person. I believe that paying $80-$100 is worth a trip to see a pipe and hold it in your hand.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
dkaye201, I have every intention of buying my pipe from my local B&M store and that is how I narrowed the field down to the Peterson or Savinelli. After reading a lot of posts about misdrilled holes and such, I at least know what to check for. The Lorenzetti, just by sure luck was well drilled with the draw hole being right at the bottom of the bowl. Beginner's luck maybe, I'm not counting on it again :)
Our issue here in the great white north (Toronto, Canada) is that our government has literally taxed the entire tobacco industry within an inch of its life and tobacconists and choices are poor, to say the least. As an example, an ounce of bulk blend tobacco goes for $20 and a 1.5 ounce brand name tin anywhere from $35-$40. The good news is that my local B&M sells pipes for the same price in Canadian dollars as the online shops in the USA, so A Peterson Standard, for example can be bought here for $125 CDN, which is about $90 USD. Thank heaven for small mercies :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Chacom and Rossi are good suggestions. Both good brands. Some of the Rossi Vittoria sell for less than $40 at smokingpipes.com and are good pipes, no filters.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I prefer Peterson to Savinelli. Both are fine pipes, but I HATE the Savinelli balsa filters. The third time I was driving home from work and really wanting to enjoy a smoke, the filter clogged up with moisture so that I couldn't draw any air through it. Not a problem if you are at home and can easily change the filter, but trying to remove the stem from a lit pipe, pulling the old filter out, getting a new one from the pipe pouch, insert it, and putting the pipe back together while driving on a highway was a bit much. I swore off Savinellis from that moment on. On the other hand, I like my two Petersons very much. I don't like the "P-Lip" so only fishtail stems for me.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Of new pipes I would say Savinelli, Chacom and Rossi are good and inexpensive, I prefer vintage/estate pipes myself, you cant go wrong with a cob though

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@Tschiraldi- I sometimes use balsas I have cut myself from 3/16" square stock. They seem to absorb just as much as the larger 6mm triangular ones, but don't impede the draw at all, or swell enough to be a problem. Balsa rod stock is super cheap at hobby/craft stores.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you are still shopping, you might also look at pipesandcigars.com for Stanwells; especially brushed black and brushed brown are priced well, and I think there are bent pipes in both series. Also look at their Big Ben pipes made in The Netherlands/Holland; some good prices on these, and they are good pipes.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
There's smoke coming out of my computer mouse from checking out all your suggestions LOL
I'll be making a trip to my local tobacconist next week to fondle, ummm, I mean check out some pipes :)
BTW, the welcome I have gotten to this wonderful community has been nothing short of awesome. I think I made the right decision to take up this hobby.
Thank you all for the advice, suggestions and the warm welcome. Now that I'm here, nothing short of wild horses is making me leave.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
If you are still shopping, you might also look at pipesandcigars.com for Stanwells ...

Excellent suggestion. :puffy:
Actually, a lot of good suggestions.
Boy ... just as I was about to post images and a link to a nice Savinelli Smooth 602, the damn thing sold as quick as a page refresh.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Nor would I. I have a bunch, and love them. WV Smokeshop is a great place to get them online, because they have individual photos of the actual pipe you are buying, not just a generic photo of the model. Good prices, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.