PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I can't speak for the brand but for $55, the price is right
I have more Chacom pipes than any other brand with no regrets.
Petersons on the other hand require careful inspection.
Personally though, I would enjoy browsing the sales and picking up a deal from a reliable seller.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Surely the shop in TO will have a few imports from Washington Missouri. Grab a Pride or Legend while you're shopping and fondling, and enjoy.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Buy one from Rx2man right now an he'll give you your 3rd one free. Plus he guarantees them.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Savinelli

Rossi

Stanwell

Missouri Meerschaum

Big Ben
Lot's of possibilities. I'd steer away from Peterson due to the aforementioned issues, though I do have 3 from the early 80's that are fine smokers. Another thought is one can get a lot of pipe for the money in the estate market, eBay, Smoking Pipes, Briar Blues are a few places to look.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
@bassbug
A better way to go about this is select a few that suit your taste and budget, then get some opinion on those specific pipes from those with hands on experience.
After you make your purchase, please let us know which one you finally decided on and why.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
@dottiewarden
That's exactly what has just happened.
After hearing from the more experienced pipe smokers out there, I've decided that I'm going to go with a Savinelli. I've browsed and come up with two models that caught my eye.
The first is the Roma 602 and the second is the Fuoco 602
The Roma is about $20 less, not that it makes much difference over the life of a pipe, but I would like to know if there is any difference between the two other than the aluminum ring. Are they constructed the same? Is the grade of briar equal? Does anyone care to give an opinion on if one would be a better smoker than the other?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Fuoco has a brighter finish and some nice band metalwork, plus an acrylic stem, which over time will show little oxidation. If you can swing the extra $20, I think that's the pipe to get, but I think you'd be happy with the Roma, if you have a need to be thrifty. Either one will be a good smoker for many years to come, in all probability.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Many traditionalists don't care for the acrylic stems but I prefer the clean look, despite the harder feel in the mouth. The stems do not oxidize thus require less maintenance.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
mso489
The acrylic stem and metal band are, in my opinion, well worth the extra $20. If Savinellis are as good as most people say and both these models are equal in briar quality then the $20 will make not a whit of difference over the life of the pipe. Not sure if a pipe in the $100 range will last 10 years, but that only works out to $2 a year difference...might as well smoke something that you like the looks of for that kind of money :)
Now the only question is..can I get one locally, or do I have to mail order?

Status
Not open for further replies.