Help! I broke down (and bought a Dunhill)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Askwith Pipes
12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes
3 Fresh Bill Shalosky Pipes
18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes
36 Fresh Rattray's Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have a 1976 Dunhill Red Bark Dublin I found in an antique shop. It's a good smoker.

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
The first video of this playlist contains a fair amount of Redbark history and info:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFwwtvtKlXW9Cck1UslaCawEQg21bD8zS

Who is the gentleman behind these videos? They are great!

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Realized that it is grumpy cat avatar aka georged.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge in these videos!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not a Dunhill guy (my way of saying I don't own one). But i really like the shape on that one, nice light weight pipe.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
It is a nice looking pipe. If it smokes well for you, you like the shape, and the price you paid is something you are comfortable with, that's all that matters.
+1 to that fine sentiment

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Realized that it is grumpy cat avatar aka georged.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge in these videos!
I always thought that cat had more of a stern expression than a grumpy one. More along the lines of, "OK, human, enough of the string-on-a-stick thing... bring me my dinner." :lol:
I appreciate the arbitrary weirdness of cats in general, you see. Little aliens from another dimension, or something.
As for the videos, you're welcome.
I make them for shop guys, but have discovered that some people just like "behind the curtain" info for its own sake. Like how golf balls or bullet proof vests are made & etc. In this case, I remembered going into some detail about the Red Bark line to explain what the project was going to involve and why, which was exactly what the OP asked for.
If you aren't familiar with YouTube channel organization, know that there are about 20 more projects out there. You just have to go "up" a level from my last link to see them:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWQlM1pWKqd5prZTdEDANZg/playlists

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
You are right about cats, both your avatar and in general. I am caring for my sisters two cats for a few months

and I am just starting to see some guidelines in their behaviour.

I have been watching your videos for the past few days and hope to put some of it into practice.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Georged, that video series was pure magic sir. I spent a very enjoyable evening smoking and watching you transform a marginal pipe into something outstanding. Wow.
:worship: :clap:

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I too broke down and bought a Dunhill just to find out what they were really like. In my case I got a Red Bark prince from the old Sherlock's Haven in San Francisco. The pipe was new, but relatively cheap as the finish was apparently not that popular at the time.
Mine is a group 3 supposedly, but it is a very small pipe for all of that. I have a Savinelli Punto Oro which is nearly identical. If I covered up the White Spot, I doubt anyone would be able to tell which is which.
The Savinelli smokes better.
I have since acquired two more Dunhills. A Dress finish (at my wife's insistence) and a birth year (1949)Shell.
The Shell is an excellent smoker with one of the more comfortable bits I have experienced but I don't want to generalize about the brand based on my small sample.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Georged, that video series was pure magic sir. I spent a very enjoyable evening smoking and watching you transform a marginal pipe into something outstanding. Wow.
:worship: :clap:
I'm delighted you found it entertaining and/or enlightening. :D That you watched it while smoking makes it even more satisfying.
Thanks for the feedback.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the estate market on Dunhill and White Spot pipes is the way to go. The prices are still pumped up, but they do settle into the zone of rationality. You do have to be alert to the condition of the pipe, so you don't buy more of a restoration project than you want, but at least you aren't paying the "new White Spot tax" at those exalted prices.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Very Nice looking classic Dunhill prince, I have seen similar shape as Yours being sold at some Italian based vendors brand new,and they were far from being affordable but definitely all them were classy looking pipes, now, judging from my experience and solely with this my brand new ring grain,yes I'm very delighted and positive how it smokes, simply great,but honestly I shouldn't have been buying it at the full market value since today's WhiteSpots in my eyes are severely overpriced,and then there was this set back with broken shank repair which in the end resulted that this very sucker has cost me so much I would not like to think about it more,

cimg0110-600x450.jpg

cimg0118-600x450.jpg

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Can someone make out what this is and if it is worth buying?
dunhill2-600x229.jpg

dunhill-1-600x455.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Shape 111, group 3, Shell, with original fishtail stem, made in ?2, in good condition (provided the chamber isn't burned).
One of the Duke Street Irregulars can probably figure out the "?" digit based on the size and position of the stamping.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sure it's worth it, at some price! A steal at $100 I'd venture. What's the asking?
Besides the obvious Dunhill marque, I dunno if it's particularly rare or not.

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
It comes with all the original(?)accessories so I guess it won't go cheap but I was looking at the shape of the bowl and wondering if it is from the "rushed production" period?

dunhill5-600x192.jpg

dunhill3-600x465.jpg

dunhill4-600x382.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
DUNHILL over SHELL BRIAR is 1960's, I think.
Pipes from the 70's & 80's had DUNHILL SHELL on the same line.
Based on the stem's shape, my guess is the first digit of the date was "updated" with a later year (not common, but far from rare).
Chamber condition is key. The rest of the pipe looks good and the accompanying stuff is legit.
The bowl shape IS a bit wonky and probably got some hard looks from QA, but passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.