PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Being the relative noob here @ PM, I realize that my modest pipe stable and tobacco crawl space (not big enough to be a cellar :P ) are really nothing more than a "good start" compared to the briar & leaf collection many of you here have amassed.
Not being one to shy away from a challenge I am doing my dead level best to correct this.
A month or so ago I was perusing ebay looking for "tobacco jars". I wanted a couple of good sized jars for some of my fave's, ya know, MM 965, Frog Morton, Margate, etc...
Well I happened upon a fella in PA that was selling 29 Anchor Hocking Tobacco Jars. The seller didn't want to ship em, and to be frank, he was asking too much for them to begin with. (Ya'll know I'm a csob right?) This guy has an ebay store and is always buying inventory from stores that are going out or are outta business. Over a few days we exchanged several emails and talked on the phone a couple of times.
Oh, did I mention that most of these jars still have tobacco in em? Yup, he bought 29 jars from a C.B. Perkins that went outta business. He's not a pipe smoker and told me that he was probably just gonna "Throw the Stuff Out"! :eek: I know right?!?!? (I think he could sense my TADness over the phone and was just messin with me)
I had him open a couple of the jars and check the tobacco, he stated that it didn't seem dried out at all and some of them were surprisingly moist. I know, I know, what the heck does this guy know right? Regardless, the tobacco, if it's smokeable, is just a bonus, I was really after the jars.
Oh, and it just so happens that my 24 y.o. son Seth was on an assignment up there, not more than an hour from where this fella was located, so there goes my "how in the heck am I gonna get these without driving 8 hours each way" problem".
So, over the last month or so I've been kinda keepin an eye on things up in PA, and after talking to my son and learning that this was his last week up there, I decided to reach out and check on the jars again.
Long story short, we came to an agreement over the weekend and Seth met the gentleman yesterday afternoon and picked em up for me.
Seth and my prized cargo should arrive @ our house this coming Sunday or Monday.
Now, I've just gotta figure out where to put all of this stuff
The modest beginnings of a "Tobacco Shelf"... The top one on the left, a couple of months ago.

The haul form the TAPS show last month...

The Tobacco Shelves as they appear now...

The latest acquisition... Prolly gonna need a couple more shelves...

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Excellent haul and a crazy good start, but I caution you about going too fast. When I started hoarding building my cellar, I outstripped my tasting, so I ended up with roughly 15 pounds of baccy I would never smoke. Lessons can be hard.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
I'm hopin I like em as well Brush. Have yet to try a Vanilla anything, but I do enjoy Cavendish's :)
I here ya Ash, the way I look at it, I picked up these jars for less than $4 ea. and the tobacco is hopefully an added bonus.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a good feeling to have a stock of leaf on hand. But I still like to sample a brand, in small quantities, over time, if I can. Some blends taste great right away but don't wear well. Others grow on you. One tin or two ounces of bulk is usually enough, until you have established a blend as something you'll use over time. Not that I'm always that disciplined, but that's what I try to do. If you must stock up, Virginias and Virginia blends are good ones, if you like them, because they only improve with time. Burley doesn't improve but keeps well. Latakia and aromatics are best used within a year or two. Lat can go flat. That's a mighty pretty lot of 'baccy, no question!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Great guns! You've hit it with both barrels, and I am wondering what percentage of aromatics make up the jars in your new collection.

Jun 27, 2016
Those are nice jars, you might need to watch the seals over time though. I'm guessing that there are rubber o-rings or seals on them. I've heard of people having issues with jars with seals but no bail top or screw top.
If I crack a 50g or 2oz tin of stuff that I know that I like, I've been going with Ball/Kerr 4oz jars (small jars). That way you can de-tin into two jars and just keep storing the full ones to age, or just open it after smoking the first one. That way the tobacco in the second jar has not been exposed to repeated jar-openings. :puffy:

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Thanks guys.
As for the wooden Indian... Sadly... No.
I too would love to have one in the mancave, but holy cow are those things expensive.
@mso, thanks for the cellaring advice. I didn't realize that lat's went flat with time. Good to know, especially since they are one of my favorites.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Congratulations on that haul!! Don't worry too much if you have tobaccos that don't float your boat. If they aren't too dried out, you can likely sell them here and use the proceeds to deepen your shelves with blends that do (float your boat).

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Thanks bane.
After my son shows up with em, I'll give em a good inspection and obviously sample each of them.
I have tried to look up information on the C.B. Perkins Tobacco company. I've learned that they originated in Mass and that they were kinda like the Nat Sherman of their area. Had their own line of cigars and pipes.
What I don't know is whether or not they sold their own proprietary blends of baccy or had em produced by someone else.
Any information on this from someone(s) in the know would be greatly appreciated.
Dino

Status
Not open for further replies.