Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gesufal

Lurker
May 30, 2018
Hello everyone,
I've been lurking on the forum for a few months and finally decided to join the community.
I've been a regular pipe smoker for more or less a year and a half after having tried a few bowls generously provided by a friend of mine.So far I've been more attracted to Balkan blends but recently developed a strong addiction to Old Toby by The Country Squire.Pipewise,I own three cheap pipes I bought from shady vendors on Amazon and a Mr. Brog Bulldog.
On a more personal note,I am 23,soon to be engaged and live with my girlfriend in Angers, Western France where I am a French Army Engineer Officer.
See you around,

Gesufal

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Welcome to the forum Gesufal. You will learn a lot here for sure. My wife studied in Strasbourg and she speaks French, unfortunately I can't.

gesufal

Lurker
May 30, 2018
I'm not aware of any pipe club in Angers and I don't have enough free time to meet fellow smokers in real life.

My main issue here is to find new tobaccos to try because the legislation here is crazy and taxes are always increasing so many blenders stop offering their products in France.

Plus,pipe smoking is not popular enough for sellers to have a large offering.

I'be never been to Strasbourg but I heard it is beautiful, especially in winter with the Christmas Market

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Bienvenue, and don't worry about finding tobacco. You are in the EU, so if a b&m can't offer you anything worth while, just hit up a german tobacco shop or ebay.de. They ship to France, if you are willing to pay a little extra for transportation.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Bonjour, mon ami! :) Glad to have you here. Sounds like you're suffering under some of the same crap that Mike (Thompson) is; he's Canadian, & the tax stuff kills him, plus there's the dearth of selection.
BTW, bon homage to your English. As my father once told a waiter in Paris, "Your English is much better than my French." :) My own French is nearly 50 years old, so I hope you don't mind my not attempting to struggle with it. :)
Do join in; pretty much anything pipe/tobacco is fair game here. Especially government regulations. :twisted:
Bill

gesufal

Lurker
May 30, 2018
It is actually illegal to buy tobacco online in France.I usually manage to get small orders from US shops who are not aware of this restriction but EU tobacco shipping is a no for me.
I will move closer to Spain in August maybe I'll get a vaster array of choice there or in Andorra.
I'm just glad I spent way too much time online in my teens it improved my English much more than school ever could

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
Hello camarade

Vive la douceur angevine. :D
It is true that here tobacco has become laborious, I walk to the red Amphora Full Aroma in general.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
>>actually illegal to buy tobacco online in France. -- God, that's even worse than poor Mike! Sheesh!!
>>glad I spent way too much time online in my teens -- We had online when I was a kid, but there were clothes hanging from it most of the time. Cosmic, that's an open invitation for you, mso, & chasingembers -- do your worst! :nana:

gesufal

Lurker
May 30, 2018
You can try "au Vizir" in Rennes, they have a nice selection of pipes and tobacco and the owner gives good advice.They also have a website

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard! France has some world-famous pipe makers, centered around St. Claude but other places as well. I find French pipes are often far above their price point in quality. I have Chacom, Butz-Choquin, Genod, and Villiard. They were first to make briar the primary pipe material, and most of the pipe shapes considered classic and traditional originated with the French.

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
Welcome. France is one of my favorite places I have ever visited. Especially the food.

Status
Not open for further replies.