PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
Welcome to the forum! It is nice to see a young pipe smoker join the forum, I am 24 myself but started when I was 22 and it seems we are neighbours as well (Belgium)!

I know Angers, or at least Anjou, is famous for its horticulture and of course the delicious pigeons.

gesufal

Lurker
May 30, 2018
I actually come from Northern France,Lille to be more precise and I spent my youth on a border town,close to Moeskron.

I usually went to Belgium when my parents wanted cheaper gas but I had the opportunity to visit Brugge and I loved it.I seem to remember tried chocolate flavoured beer there (don'the try it,it's awful).

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
So you are from French-Flanders, do they still speak some Flemish dialects in Lille? Or is it Picard they speak?

Quite funny, as I think many people from Flanders now actually go to France for shopping, at least for certain products. Never had chocolate beer, though in Belgium we truly have beers of all kinds and for every taste.

gesufal

Lurker
May 30, 2018
Everyone I know there speaks French but we still have some particular words and expression that are specific to French Flanders and Picardie.My grandparents knew how to speak the regional tongue but did not use it.
We do have some regional tongues that are even now quite present,in Brittany for example,where most traffic signs are written both in French and Britton

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
In Brittany the panels are translated into Breton, but there language is never present!

Nobody under 75 speaks Breton, and again ... :roll:
I still understand it from memory because at the time of my grandparents people spoke only in Breton between them.
Now he is learning it in schools, a fancy thing with a shitty accent for children whose parents spit on Breton before it comes back into fashion. :evil:

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
It is sad to hear these local dialects are disappearing, seemingly even stronger in France than it is in Belgium. While I can still understand and relatively speak my local dialect pretty well, it is completely useless outside of my family home as even many people from my village are not originally from there. It is almost that people are ashamed of passing down their native dialect as it seen as uneducated or associated with lower class, at least that is the case in Belgium.

If it is of any interest of you, in the Walloon part of Belgium there are still a few tobacco producers (Semois tobacco) and all of them speak French. You could easily get in touch with them and perhaps they will sent you some. I always wonder how much pipe culture is related between France and Belgium, since I believe most pipes here all came from St. Claude so I wonder if the tobaccos did as well.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
Yes, but Belgium is a little stuck between France and Germany, a long-time pipe smoker, porcelain or other.

And even border with Italy, once many hawkers were shuttling between these countries with their goods.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Welcome from Florida, USA. Good to have you join us, we need more international flavor.

slowroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2017
Bienvenue. Malheureusement, J'ai oublie ma vocabulaire Francais. I have had many pleasant trips to France years ago, even to Paris :P . Loved Normandy and Bougogne. Too bad it's so difficult to get tobacco there. Some EU people order from 4noggins in the USA, and it slips by the customs. Not that i would advocate doing anything contrary to local law of course :mrgreen:

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
We understood correctly ... :mrgreen:
But some US sites are not even accessible from France, they are zealous, as ttps: //www.pipesandcigars.com/gdpr.html with a blocking message! :?
Moreover a guy indicates that the customs confiscated to him the 300 grams of tobacco of a package, and that since 4 parcels out of 5 opened with the customs.

It discourages. :cry:

gesufal

Lurker
May 30, 2018
I guess I was lucky,I ordered several times from Smokingpipes and once from the Country Squire and never had any problem.

I know the Country Squire labelled the package as "hobby" or something like that and that may have helped in passing the customs.

Bad news for me,Smokingpipes recently changed its policy and stopped shipping tobacco to France altogether

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Sheesh. I really sympathize with you guys. That's a really rotten situation. At least you've got EU sources, but having US locked out is just one royal major PITA. }:(

Status
Not open for further replies.