PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Hey, cortez, I don't want to scare the new guys off, so maybe you should send them the link about what's in the preferred member appreciation package. Or even redo it, since all the photobarfit linkouts are kaput now. :rofl:

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
gesufal Andora is cheap in as far as cigarettes and some cigars, but you have a limit in what you may bring over the border. Liquoer is really REALLY cheap there, but one is limited to 2 L of hard liquor (as in above 20%) and 20 L beer/wine (port counts as whine so that is good). Not sure about pipe tobacco, I don't remember seeing much apart form some pouch, but since I was there with work I didn't have the liberty to search for a proper tobacco shop. Spain, now that's another ball game. They have imported pipe tobacco, but their tariffs are also high.
bnichols23 not a bad idea :D

gesufal

Lurker
May 30, 2018
Folanator,I'd be happy to send you cheese if I had any hope of it reaching you in an edible state.

I love to make my friends test out Maroilles,a cheese originating from the region of France I was born in and one of the worst smelling cheese I've tried.It can be eaten in a pie or even dipped in morning coffee
bnichols23 what do you mean by "preferred member appreciation package"?
madox, I'll live something like one and a half hour from the border I'll be able to make regular supply runs

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I got the stink eye over a can of Copenhagen from a couple of gendarmes in the security line at the Eiffel Tower. When I opened the can they looked at me like I had 3 heads. True story...lol

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Sorry, gesufal! A few years ago one of the chief reprobates (Cortez, aka cortezattic) posted a funny that outlined all the "perks" that supposedly came once you achieved preferred member status. [pause as I go look it up.]
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/your-member-status
If you scroll down about halfway to cortez's post that begins: "Well, my membership status odometer just turned over again" you'll see it. I howled when I first read through it a few months ago. Still a panic today!
Bill

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
>>"I got the stink eye over a can of Copenhagen from a couple of gendarmes" -- folanator, I had no idea the French messieurs les flics were so down on Danes. Sounds like they're almost as cranky as TSA!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Cher Monsieur Gesufal,Et les Tabacs Gris Francaise' have those dissapeared lately?To name only a few Caporal Export, Scaferlatis and Butz Choquin Semois Coupe Moyenne,S Claude 1792'some 20 year ago they were seen in most every 'tabac-Bar'

et maintenant,Soyez Cordialement Bienvenu ici,

Paul

gesufal

Lurker
May 30, 2018
I think I saw a Caporal pouch once but pipe smoking is not popular enough over here for most B&M to have more than a few pouches to offer and it's usually foreign

aromatics.

Actually most tobacco sellers give me weird looks when I ask them for pipe tobacco because they rely almost exclusively on cigarettes and the odd cigar.

gesufal

Lurker
May 30, 2018
The last bastion of pipe smoking tradition here is in Saint Claude but I've heard it is in decline even there.

If I ever get around to going on a pilgrimage there I'll let you know about the current state of affairs

gesufal

Lurker
May 30, 2018
I had never heard of it before.I like how they have a set price per briar grain quality regardless of the shape.

Do you own one of their pipes?

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
( Because you are too young .. :D )
Yes, a big fat chubby that I love like "author", since

thirty years when they had a booth at the Foire de Paris (in French in the text :lol: )
(That's when I learned that in reality the historic cradle of the briar pipe was Cogolin!)
Their pipes are quite simple, kind of old-fashioned quality without

unnecessary complications.

They still work their own local heather that they let age and not import as in St Claude or elsewhere.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Along with Comoys and Chacom, I have one of those Genod Model Opera Squatted bulldogs, and I can tell You the quality of the briar is exceptionally good for the price ,no flaws to be found in craftsmanship, You can find newer generation Genod pipes at Le Maitre Piper.fr

ekert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2018
Paris would be nicer without the Parisites, but the rest of France is quite lovely. Bienvenue!

Status
Not open for further replies.