PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
Like many others, I have been lurking for a while. Long story long... 47 years old and never smoked tobacco in my life (save the drunken cigarette or celebratory cigar... but even that's been 15-20 years). I lead a clean lifestyle, health conscious, yada yada. The health risks are of concern to me. However, a medical practitioner whom I trust implicitly told me when asked about pipes, "that won't be what takes you down." So that gives me some comfort that this is not a totally ridiculous consideration.

But, I got it in my head that smoking a pipe could be a good way to relax and solve the world's problems. So, I have smoked a total of 4 bowls in my life, first one was 3-4 weeks ago. Started with a corn cob, but recently got a $25 Mr. Brog with 9mm filter. I think I like that better. I have only smoked Captain Black gold, and in all honesty was not thrilled with the flavor. I was expecting something much sweeter. But maybe my expectations on what pipe tobacco actually tastes like are unrealistic... it tasted like... tobacco.

So this is still a hobby that I have not fully committed to, but am definitely intrigued. I could see smoking maybe a few bowls per week, at most. I don't imagine my wife would be thrilled with this... but I will have that conversation if/when this becomes a lifestyle choice for me.

I have gotten a lot of useful information from this site, and since I am now a veteran, with 4 bowls under my belt, thought I would introduce myself.

Cheers
Drew

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central N.C. I grew up in Chicagoland and still have family there.

Reactions: Drew72

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Greetings here from Iowa..
do yourself a favor and head down to Iwan Ries on Wabash.
They have a great selection, a smoking lounge, and won't hesitate to give you samples of some bulk stuff you haven't tried.

My doctor basically said the same thing... I mentioned I smoked a pipe, and he said "well you don't inhale that do you?" and I said no, and he poo-pooed it off.

jp267nh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2019
Connecticut
Some of my favorite childhood memories are accompanying my father to Irwin Ries on Wabash to buy pipe tobacco. We lived in Milwaukee and it was always a special trip. Wish I were still in the area, but now I find myself, in Connecticut. Welcome to the forum!!

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Welcome from Western Canada! I do enjoy the relaxing and reflection time that is a result of my pipe smoking. As you develop your technique you will begin to experience more of the flavour nuances. Tobacco will still taste like tobacco but depending on the blend there are different flavours to complement the tobacco.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.