PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

i550r

Lurker
Sep 17, 2018
Hello from Ireland!
As some of you already know, I registered a few days ago to ask something about my newly purchased pipe, a Savinelli 614 Roma Lucite. I am currently breaking it in with Dunhill's "Early Morning Pipe", and really enjoying it.
I've been a pipe smoker for eight years, but until a few months ago I didn't really know much about tobacco, I would simply smoke what I liked. One of my regular tobaccos was James Fox's "The Banker's Mixture". My general rule for buying new tobaccos has for many years been: choose blends with latakia and avoid aromatics.

I've tried many mixtures over the years, but without paying much attention to the ingredients or even the brand names, unless something really stood out.
I finally started getting more into it recently, and I quickly came across this forum - the largest repository of piping wisdom on the internet.

Because I already knew I enjoy latakia, I got a small collection of well known English mixtures, which I am now smoking more carefully than before, trying to analyse them based on various reviews. I plan to do the same with Virginias soon.

As a homebrewer and engineer, it's my belief that although anything can be enjoyed, true appreciation requires at least some understanding.
Here's a photo of my current pipe and tobacco collection. Happy pipe smoking!
K2pKsEB.jpg

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
Welcome to the forums! I'm on a similar journey to discover various blends in different categories to discover what I most enjoy. So much out there to try, don't think I'll ever get bored with it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
avoid aromatics
Don't limit yourself, you may enjoy some of them. After nearly thirty years of pipe smoking, I'm finding myself reaching for aros more often.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Welcome.
Glad to see Peterson represented in your nifty and very practical rack.
Where in Ireland do you live?
Ireland is next or next-to-next on the list for my lovely bride and I to travel. I've not been and am tremendously eager to visit. (Not least of all as I am a half-breed Irish bastard with a deep love of Irish history and culture.)
Hope you enjoy your time on the forum.

i550r

Lurker
Sep 17, 2018
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Sorry I didn't manage to answer earlier.

I live in the Mid-West of Ireland.
I'm currently going through some Virginia based tobaccos, starting with SG Autumn Flake, which is nice but the taste seems a bit weak. Maybe it's due to my pipes being heavily ghosted by latakia.

Something I really like so far, with a very rich flavour, is HH Old Dark Fired.
Regarding aromatics, I'm smoking my firt bowl of SG Kendal Cream as I write. The tin note reminds me of some cleaning products, but surprisingly I find it really pleasant to smoke.
For those interested, the pipes on my last photo are, from left to right:

- Tiny pipe built for fun by a friend of mine. Not very practical, I've only tried it once. The interior of the bowl is made of metal.

- Unknown churchwarden bought in a B&M in California

- Another pipe built by the same friend. Made of beech and not great looking, so I use it very rarely.

- Peterson Donegal Rocky 15

- Missouri Meerschaum Legend

- Savinelli 614 Roma Lucite

- Unknown small basket pipe from my local B&M, great for a shorter smoke

- Passatore, unknown model, my first pipe

- Jean Claude, unknown model

The rack is made out of some spare plywood, not very elegant but it does its job :)

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Cool , we have pipers in from Faroe Islands , Finland , Ireland ...
I'm about 3000 km on your left , practically neighbours
Slainte

Status
Not open for further replies.