PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

glockguy55

Lurker
Mar 17, 2019
Hope everyone is doing well today. My name is Josh I'm just getting into pipe smoking, I just wanted to introduce myself. I just recently placed a order of a handful of tobaccos, most of which are aromatics because they sound the most appealing to me. I have a Baraccini pipe, I have also ordered a Mr. Brog pipe so any input on those brands are more than welcome. I plan on posting my first experience in the next few days once my tobacco comes in. Any advice is welcome, thanks all.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Welcome from upstate SC, Josh! Glad to have you with us! I think you'll enjoy the lunatics here. We're mostly harmless, with a few exceptions like the pirate crew. :)
Bill

Jan 8, 2013
We're mostly harmless, with a few exceptions like the pirate crew. :)
We're mostly harmless as long as nobody shivers our timbers and as long as the cleaning fluid is kept out of reach.
Welcome! :clap:

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
You bet, any time! BTW, on advice, dry tour tobacco (depending on how moist it is), pack loosely to start & progressively firmer to the top, & smoke slowly until you you develop a cadence that works for you.
And lastly, that's too fast & too hard. I said "slowly." When you think it's way too slow, you'll be close to correct. :) Seriously.
Bill

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Welcome to the forums, Josh. Aromatics have a nice tin note but it takes some time to get the flavors out of them while smoking. I also suggest you to try some mild English blends, they are much easier to dry and pack and taste. If you have any questions, we all will be here. Enjoy your new hobby!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Welcome Josh.

I have a Baraccini pipe, I have also ordered a Mr. Brog pipe so any input on those brands are more than welcome.

I was gifted a Mr. Brog made of pear wood. I have smoked it a couple of times and so far so good.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Welcome aboard Josh! I'll echo Javan's comment about aromatics. I love them now myself but I've been smoking a pipe for nearly thirty years, and it took a while to be able to smoke them cool and to get any flavor out of them. A Latakia blend or burley will be more user friendly in the beginning and are strongly flavored. Take your time to learn packing, lighting, and cadence, and don't worry about relights, we've all been there.

glockguy55

Lurker
Mar 17, 2019
Thanks guys, what are some good English blends you would suggest? I do like bold cigars, so any suggestions similar to that you would recommend?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the forum. I was also a cigar guy when I took up the pipe. The blend that showed me how great a pipe could be is Escudo. It is a Virginia/Perique blend that comes in coins. I would start researching cube cutting and folding and stuffing of flakes. I say start in the deep end of the pool

Aromatic blends really are much better once you have learned how to smoke a pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Josh, you have a good start. Don't try too hard, and find what you enjoy. Do it your way. I'd buy tobacco blends in small quantities, jar any you don't like. Your tastes will change. Sip more than puff. (We all puff a little.) Welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.