Heirloom PAD - Oldies, Goodies, & Mysteries (Novel Length & PIC HEAVY)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Afternoon folks.
I had another one of those fantastic pipe moments last week; one of those convergences that happen when least expected that leaves life richer.
As is my wont, I search online want-ads like Craiglist and, our Canadian iteration (Kijiji), for pipes and tobacciana with regularity. By which I mean, daily. Last week I saw a listing for two Blatter pipes which were interesting, so I sent the vendor an email expressing interest and asking for more information. I received a terse email reply asking if I would be interested in seeing more, as the gentleman (named Howard), was trying to sell off a large portion of his collection. I, of course, suggested that I might have time :rofl: to take a look at the other pipes he had for sale.
Later that evening I received an email with a zip file attached with 138 pipes and prices laid out inside. 8O
That zip file was a cornucopia of heirloom and vintage burners. I replied as quickly as I could, but apparently he was working with other buyers, because pipes I asked about were suddenly unavailable. :puffpipe:
At the end of two days of backing and forthing I had agreed to purchase two vintage "miniature pipes", a BBB Opera Pipe, a BBB bent Bulldog, a cased set of four briar pipes with sterling shank rings, a Comoy's second billiard, and a Blatter military mount billiard.
I bought them all sight unseen (yes I can hear the chorus of jeers and groans as you all read this), with only one photo for each buying decision.... and I didn't dicker on price. Howard told me what he wanted, and I elected to buy or not. In instances like this I consider haggling bad form, and to be fucking with karma in ways I'm not comfortable.
Last Thursday I met Howard.
Howard is in his late sixties, and is a bear of a man. He's 6'4" but walks with a stoop and a limp, as he's suffering from some sort of debilitating spinal issue. Howard speaks with the confidence brought on by almost fifty years in sales, and in direct marketing himself as a photographer. He and his wife have downsized after being left in an empty nest. Howard's daughter has no interest in his pipes, and Howard's son passed away last year, leaving Howard determined to move on 75% of his pipes to people who will use them and care for them, and provide him with a little ready cash. Howard knows how much his pipes are worth, but was pricing them to move.
Howard is gentle, confident, a little guarded on initial meeting, but then open and honest once commonality has been established. Howard enjoyed sharing stories with me about smoking with the Blatters at their shop(s) in Montreal and his shared love of pipe smoking with his Grandfather. Howard has only ever smoked the blend developed by his grandfather and produced exclusively for him by Barclay Rex in NYC.
It was truly a joy to meet and get to know Howard... and my pipe collection is significantly happier.
Here are the pics of the pipes I acquired.
1960s BBB Bent Bulldog

1960s Blatter Push Stem Billiard

1980s Cadogan Era Cambridge Canadian

1900(ish) CPF Bone/Wood Tenon Bent Billiard (Miniature Pipe)

1900(ish) Cased A1 Bakelite Bone Tenon Bent Billiard w Gold Accent Ring (Miniature Pipe)

1909 Cased BBB Dublin - The diamond in this little collection. It is in wonderful condition and will clean up beautifully.

Mystery Pipes - Cased Set of 4 Briar Pipes marked "A1" "Selected Briar"
The origin of these pipes is going to be fun to discover. I've been in touch with Peterson, and with Mark Irwin and Gary Malmberg, all of whom who say that these pipes are not Peterson pipes even though all four pipes have matching K&P bands with Irish, Dublin and 1924 hallmarks on them.
I'm not surprised that this is the case, the accent ring has slipped on the Dublin and isn't fitted well on the straight Billiard. What this leaves me with is four pipes, one with a lovely amber stem, that are stamped on the shank by a manufacturer/factory/shop/brand which I've never heard of.... All that being said, I love these pipes and am intrigued by finding out from whence they came.

Thanks for looking.
If anyone has any thoughts on A1 pipes, I'd love to hear them.
-- Pat

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Wow pruss, you've done well. Nice to see they went to a genuine pipe smoker and someone who will appreciate them. Enjoy!

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Here is a thought as you already mentioned. It seems the A.1. is stamped differently from the "Selected Briar" stamp. Maybe "A.1." was a pipe shop?

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Great pipes but it sounds like the meeting the seller was the best find. Great to have some of the history of these beauties.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
pruss:
In their book titled "Who Made That Pipe?" authors Wilczak and Colwell list a pipe named "A1 Handmade" which was produced by Civic Co. Ltd. of England. Perhaps Kapp and Peterson simply provided the banding as a repair?
Of Civic, Jose Manuel Lopes had this to say in his book titled "Pipes - Artisans and Trademarks": "English brand of the former Civic Co. Ltd., based in Hockley, Essex, England. This company bought Loewe, had connections with the English Kaywoodie, and became part of Cadogan, with whom it had been collaborating since the 1920s, at the close of the 1960s."
I hope that you find this information to be helpful.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks for the comments and thoughts, folks.
Jason, I was thinking "shop pipes" too.
@owen - I'm still a little shocked, truth be told.
@Billkay - Would that it were so but both Peterson and the guys who wrote the book on Peterson say that those aren't Pete shapes.
@papipeguy - Thanks! The mystery makes attaching to the pipes a sure thing.
@prairiedruid - Indeed. I enjoyed getting to know Howard greatly, and look forward to future meetings.
@huntertrw - Thank you! I had a friend search the same book with no luck after a cursory glance. I thank you for the lead!
From what I understand, true Amber was so cost prohibitive by the 30s that the hallmarks could be close to the actual age of these pipes if they weren't made earlier.
If they are Civic pipes with K&P bands I wonder if (as a couple have posited) whether the bands are a shop made aftermarket addition... Perhaps by the London Peterson store?
I'm in Canada, for those that aren't aware, so finding older Britwood pipes isn't a surprise even if the brand is from a more obscure factory.
Keep the thoughts coming, friends!
-- Pat

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Lovely pipe Pruss and the BBB you call the jewel I believe may have been made for the now defunct Abercrombie & Fitch Co., probably as a vest pocket or fishing pipe, glad you got to meet Howard. Cheers.

banjo

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A truly fascinating treasure trove.
I'm glad Mark commented on the K&P pipes. I wonder if someone salvaged bands and used them for a repair? I guess anything is possible.
That 1909 BBB is truly the Diamond in that bag of jewels.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Actually I believe that the AF & Co. stamp stood for Adolph Frankau & Co. Ltd.
That's how I read that too.
2) There are some odd duck Peterson shapes from earlier on that may not show up on shape charts.
Agreed, but I trust these experts when they tell me that these pipes deviate so significantly from Peterson shapes.
I'm glad Mark commented on the K&P pipes.
Mark was wonderfully forthcoming with info and truly an engaged correspondent. Thanks so much for that lead, Al!
Enjoy those and thanks for sharing!...........
Oh, I plan to do so!
-- Pat

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Wish I could buy all my pipes off Howard. That little BBB looks in remarkable condition. Those style/size pipes were the norm here in England years ago, but I still can't find one! Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.