Heat Shrink Tubing - An Alternative To Softy Bits?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
As the title suggests, I'm curious if clear heat shrink tubing could be used as a viable alternative to traditional soft bits. I just purchased a pipe with a yellow/amber colored acrylic stem and a black soft bit would completely destroy the aesthetic of the pipe. I'm thinking something with an inside diameter of 1/2" would probably do the trick but a few concerns come to mind:
1) Will it actually protect the stem

2) Will it last as long or longer than a normal soft bit

3) Is that crap even safe to put in your mouth long term?
Another alternative might be some sort of vinyl tubing that doesn't shrink but could be made pliable enough to work. Anybody have personal experience with this one? Thanks!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I recently asked the question about alternatives to Softy Bits and opinions varied from "I never protect the stems." to "adult bondage tape is good."
One popular one was to use clear vinyl plastic tubing "like for a icemaker waterline). I found some at Lowes that is 3/8 inch inside diameter but you would need to soak it in hot water to soften it up some and make it a little more pliable.
Surgical tubing was also suggested if you can find it.
I'm currently using some 3/8-inch black shrink wrap tubing on one of my vulcanite stems. I used a pair of needlenose pliers to expand the tubing enough to slip over the bit. Sof far its working and its not nearly as thick as a Softy Bit.

Reactions: JackofNone

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
You’re a wealth of information, pappymac. Thank you! Vinyl tubing sounds like it might be the ticket as opposed to shrink wrap for me. I tend to clench pretty firmly, that vinyl stuff seems a bit more durable than shrink tubing.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd recommend easing up on the clench pressure. If not for your pipes, then for your gums and teeth.
Clenching is a poor term, but one we're stuck with.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
jpmcwjr you’re quite right, sir. I chalk it up to being a rookie. I don’t want my Pete falling out of my mouth onto the concrete porch, so I probably overdo it a bit. As I get more comfortable smoking a pipe I’m trying to make a conscious effort to ease up a bit.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I see no reason why shrink tubing wouldn't work. And it would protect the stem quite a bit I would think. I've been using the kinky bondage tape and it works rather well. You should try that first to see if you like the concept, it doesn't require you to purchase a heat gun.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I have tried all methods listed except for the surgical plastic film.
The non-adhesive heatshrink tubing is very protective and comfortable. It is easy to apply around the button. The only downside is the dull appearance.
The bondage tape is shiny black and looks the best if applied carefully. I'm still learning how to apply it effectively to prevent wrinkles and keep it from unwinding. It is not as protective as the softee bits nor heatshrink tubing but because it makes the pipe much easier to grip in my teeth, I don't bite as hard and find more ways to grip it in my teeth. It is hard to wrap around the button without wrinkles. Since I don't bite the button anyway, I just skip it.
I'm using the bondage tape on high grades and heatshrink on lesser pipes.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the info craiginthecorn! I think I’ll try some heat shrink if I can find it clear. If not I’ll try to find vinyl tubing. That tape sounds nice but not what I’m looking for with this particular stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.