PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Hearth & Home Mid-Town : Prince Andrew - I received the 14oz tub (normally retails about $30) for only $12.50 pro rata; due to being combined on a special-offer with the purchase of my regular order of the 14oz tub of Middleton's: Prince Albert (normally about $37.50), in a promotion called: "A Princely Punch-Out" for a total of $50.00 for BOTH 14oz tubs.
That was the first nice thing about my experience trying-out H&H's Prince Andrew pipe tobacco.
Normally, I would not buy an entire tub of a mixture that I had never tried before; however, for essentially the price of two 2oz pouches of Prince Andrew - and picking-up the residual balance 10 extra ounces and the tub itself for "free" - how could I resist?
First-off I wish to be perfectly clear that Prince Andrew is NOT a sly misnomer for an intended Prince Albert MATCH.
What Prince Andrew is, is a COMPARABLE to Prince Albert; which simply means that it is SIMILAR TO Prince Albert, but not trying to be exactly the same thing; and that it is, indeed!
Now, what did I find as different?
Upon opening the Prince Andrew tub, the first thing I was immediately struck with was that Prince Andrew has wonderfully strong and highly odoriferous "boozy" pouch-note to it. This thrilled me no-end, as I am currently in a love-affair with other very popular boozey blends, such as: C&D's Black Frigate, and, Super-Value's Bourbon Whiskey.
I find Prince Albert has. to me, a very familiar "raisin" pouch-note foremost.
Upon smoking, I was delighted and surprised by the fullness and depth exhibited by Prince Andrew. This truly is a masterful mixture. I could certainly taste the similarity to my old favorite, Prince Albert, but there was just enough of a delicious difference to recognize Prince Andrew as it's own pallet-pleaser - yet comparable in similar taste to Prince Albert.
What Prince Andrew does not exhibit in terms of the distinct and exact signature secondary flavorings found in Prince Albert, it rather exhibits in a deep richness and dimension of it's key flavor bass-note; which Prince Albert does not share.
Will I give up Albert for Andrew? No.
Will I give up Andrew for Albert? No.
Because Prince Andrew was such a flavorful, full, and wonderfully satisfying smoke, I will be buying and smoking BOTH mixtures from now on. I am very much looking forward to switching back-and-forth between these two "Princely" mixtures for added variety in my work-a-day pipe smoking.
If you are a stead-fast Prince Albert fan, as I am, I cannot see how you will not be overly-pleased if you give H&H's Prince Andrew a try in your own pipe; for the simple reason that if the taste of Prince Albert appeals to you, then there is no reason you should not also appreciate Prince Andrew - as these two mixtures are most certainly "comparable" to one another; in both class and taste.
So, in the end, who won the so-called: "Princely Punch-Out"?
I did.
I was "totally knocked-out" by the wonderful promotional deal I received on both tubs of these two fine tobaccos; and newly, by Prince Andrew, and as always, by my ever-faithful, Prince Albert . - Sherm Natman
"Know, oh prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars - Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyberborea, Zamora with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery, Zingara with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Stygia with its shadow-guarded tombs, Hyrkania whose riders wore steel and silk and gold. But the proudest kingdom of the world was Aquilonia, reigning supreme in the dreaming west." - Robert E. Howard; Conan: The Phoenix on the Sword; 1932.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Without a special deal, I see you can sample Andrew in a baggie sized package at an excellent price, or any of the other Midtown tub blends. I haven't tried Andrew, but the Midtown blend Chestnut, a match to the discontinued Walnut, is a steady part of my rotation and ages nicely.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I really enjoy both Prince Andrew and Chatham Manor. They are not matches for PA or CH, but I find them both great blends in their own right. Great review!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've tried and compared many a codger style burley blend. Each has its own characteristics and tastes.

You might give D&R Rowland a try if you enjoy this genre. I have only tried the regular in this offering, but it is offered in modified blends as well.

The one thing I would say that I learned for me about changing blends, is that I need to smoke several of the new blend before I can fully appreciate it.
My current favorite mix of blends from D&R is: TwoTimer/3 Sails/Picayune. You dabble with the ratio but it all goes together really nicely.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
NewBroom - I do indeed very much enjoy the Burleys - especially in the cold weather, and the Virginias when it's warmer outside - so I appreciate the timing of your recommendation on the D&R: Rowland series, being before the weather changes too much here in PA. It looks like D&R's Rowland: Regular (Burley, Virg, Orient) would be the most likely candidate for me to try-out next. Thank you for that.
While risking drifting the thread away from H&H's Prince Andrew, I do want to say that find it interesting that you mentioned D&R: Two-Timer: Regular (Straight Burley, twice-toasted), as I also sampled that on the same night as the H&H: Prince Andrew mixture; and I was pleased how much I enjoyed it as well - Review Pending - and the added inducement in favor of the D&R line is the low price on the tins you mentioned.
Also, yes, I also find that having to get through most of a pouch to fully appreciate a mixture is essential; especially when the initial bowl(s) experience leaves on "on-the-fence", as it were. However, in this case of H&H: Prince Andrew, the first puff was a big hit, and now being up to more than a dozen bowls consumed, I can report that Prince Andrew is hanging right in there - straight out of the gate, with no signs of fading in the back-stretch.
It would be nice if a few race horses I have unfortunately known in the past would have followed the same performance example! LOL! - Sherm Natman
MikeFu - Yes, I am looking forward to trying-out H&H:CM very soon. The only reason we did not have that one along with H&H:Prince Andrew for the weekly smoker just passed, was that P&C was out of pouches of H&H:CM at the time I placed the order for the double-tub "Princely Punch-Out". I do know that back in Feb or Jan, P&C was running a similar "double-tub" promotion; but for a tub of CH and a tub of CM at a similarly special discount price.
Thanks for the very kind words, I appreciate you reading my review of H&H:PA - Sherm Natman

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Nice review shermnatman. I have a tub of H&H's Prince Andrew,and it didn't do much for me. I put it aside and will have to re-visit. Surprised me as I am usually a fan of Codger Burleys...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm more about Carter Hall and Prince Albert but Sweet Cask is a very good take on Sugar Barrel.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
3rdGuy - I just read the description and the reviews on your recommended Redburn by C&D, and it definitely sounds like it might be right up my boozy alley! Thanks for that, I will add it to my next order, and I will let you know how it goes. I appreciate the recommendation, and your read. - Sherm Natman
Paul - Thanks so much for saying so; I am no master-reviewer, so your acknowledgement means a lot to me Paul. - Sherm Natman
Embers - Well, as you and everyone else knows, Middleton's Prince Albert is my main smoke; so I am with you there (and on The Black Frigate, me 'earty!). - Sherm Natman

Status
Not open for further replies.