PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Last summer I opened a tin of Anniversary Kake (bought in 2015) and after burning my palate with a Peterson p-lip, I jarred it. I thought p-lips were not for me so I smoked other VaPers in my Peterson very carefully, but to my surprise none of them burned my palate or tongue. Anyway, after almost a year I opened the jar yesterday, took a bowlful of it and let it dry for 40 minutes. While packing I realized that it wasn't dry enough as I prefer my tobacco on the bone dry side. I lighted the bowl and after few puffs I felt some sharp stinging pain on the tip and side of my tongue, like the one you feel when you sip a hot coffee. I couldn't smoke it and had to empty the bowl. Luckily I had some Dunhill Royal Yacht available, so loaded another pipe and enjoyed. I smoked some Esoterica Tobacciana And So To Bed in the morning and I couldn't get the notes from it that I always get, except some Latakia taste, felt like I lost my sensation of taste.
I know that there are some fans of AK out there, is there any special drying method for this one? Reviews says that if I dry it too much, it will lose its flavor. Damn, I still feel some burning sensation on my tongue.

I am stumped.

I have smoked quite a bit of the Annie Cake, and I don't remember getting any bite. I remember sweet, pastry-like spice, and no pepper.

Maybe try leaving it moist when you smoke it, just to try it that way. Also, try using a wider bowl. Virginia #1 bites me like crazy until I use a larger bowl, and then it mellows out a lot.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Cosmic, I think it wasn't a bite but a burn. I tried my best to smoke it as cool as I can, still had that tongue burn sensation. I've never had any similar experience with any other tobacco blend before, weird.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
I have the same problem with Annie Kake.

I love the smell of the blend but I can not smoke it due to the burn. Other blends with Red Va. tend to cause tongue bite for me also but nothing is as bad as AK.

Not sure what causes the problem but I would guess some additive just does not agree with me.

Wish I could smoke it.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've never had problems with Anni Kake. I could have three bowls a day without issues.
It's possible that it's just a reaction from a blending component.
It's a shame though, cause that's one tasty blend.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Throw me in the lot with the others not having an issue when smoking Anniversary Kake. I don't smoke it often, but when I do I don't have any issues. As for drying time, I usually just take it from the jar and load the pipe and smoke away.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Try a wider bowl. I think that might help. It seems counter intuitive, but a lot of stuff in the hobby are.
I was smoking it in a brandy shaped nosewarmer, the midsection is wide but the top is not. I will check.
Try a pipe with an open airway.
I am thinking about a filtered pipe actually. But I will check this one as well.
I have the same problem with Annie Kake.

I love the smell of the blend but I can not smoke it due to the burn. Other blends with Red Va. tend to cause tongue bite for me also but nothing is as bad as AK.

Not sure what causes the problem but I would guess some additive just does not agree with me.

Wish I could smoke it.
Well, at least we know that I am not the only one. I smoked Solani 633 and I think it had more Red Va. than AK, however I didn't have any issues with Solani. I think I have to agree with the additive thing.
I've not experiences any issues smoking Anni Kake. Might it be possible that you're having a reaction to one of the components? Have you experienced any similar problems with any other blend?
Sable, I think it is one of the components. I've never experienced any similar problems before, I had tongue bites and tongue burns when I smoked like a freight train, but nothing like this one. As I said when I sipped it felt like I was sipping very hot coffee.
I've never had problems with Anni Kake. I could have three bowls a day without issues.
It's possible that it's just a reaction from a blending component.
It's a shame though, cause that's one tasty blend.
I know that his one has some real fans out there, I wish I could be one.
You have issues with other red va's?
Nope, never ever. And it's good to see an old member :) You should post more my friend.
Throw me in the lot with the others not having an issue when smoking Anniversary Kake. I don't smoke it often, but when I do I don't have any issues. As for drying time, I usually just take it from the jar and load the pipe and smoke away.
Lucky you, I have to dry the tobacco I am smoking. There are few blends that I don't need to dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.