PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
But I mean you're right in your assessment the Ghost Dance movement likely originates from mission schools. Smohalla, whose movement inspired Wovokia likely attended a mission school were he learned of christian beliefs which he fused with the spritual beliefs of his tribe.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Sealth (Seatttle) (late 1780s-1866) was remarkable for his times. He worked hard to smooth the way for selected whites moving into what is now Elliot Bay in the Puget Sound. He and his people profited from his forward thinking. Sealth also attain an ascendancy over the other tribes in the area and he paved the way for the City of Seattle.
Sealth managed to keep most of his people peaceful during local Indian wars. He and his people exchanged property, their land as opposed to the brilliant scam perpetuated on the Dutch with the sale of Manhattan Island by non-resident Natives, for health care, a stipend and a relatively peaceful life for himself and his people. (Wanna buy the Brooklyn Bridge?)
The Ghost Dance. My understanding of such was that it had to be an amalgam of "Indian" and Christian beliefs in order to sell the idea to widest audience. Much the same way St. Patrick had to marry Catholic dogma to ancient and ingrained Irish beliefs so as to sell the religion to the leaders of various Irish tribes. An early and brilliant "pubic relations" campaign if you will.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Sealth (Seatttle) (late 1780s-1866) was remarkable for his times. He worked hard to smooth the way for selected whites moving into what is now Elliot Bay in the Puget Sound. He and his people profited from his forward thinking. Sealth also attain an ascendancy over the other tribes in the area and he paved the way for the City of Seattle.
Sealth managed to keep most of his people peaceful during local Indian wars. He and his people exchanged property, their land as opposed to the brilliant scam perpetuated on the Dutch with the sale of Manhattan Island by non-resident Natives, for health care, a stipend and a relatively peaceful life for himself and his people. (Wanna buy the Brooklyn Bridge?)
My family roots are two generations deep (parents and grandparents) in Seattle and I've studied the history of the city fairly deeply. A bit of trivia for those liking such: "Skid Road" as a term was first used to describe an area, in what is now Seattle, where the logs were skidded down the steep hills to the waterfront. Use this wee factoid to win a beer or some such.
The Ghost Dance. My understanding of such was that it had to be an amalgam of "Indian" and Christian beliefs in order to sell the idea to widest audience. Much the same way St. Patrick had to marry Catholic dogma to ancient and ingrained Irish beliefs so as to sell the religion to the leaders of various Irish tribes. An early and brilliant "pubic relations" campaign if you will.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
Like all history what we know is not always what happened. I believe Chief Seattle was a great man and powerful speaker. The versions of Chief Seattle's speech are varied to suit different needs. The original speech is written by Henry Smith. Here are some interesting thoughts about it.

Rudolf Kaiser directed first scholarly fire when he saw the speech's widespread use among Green Party advocates in Germany.[6] Kaiser was struck by anachronisms in the speech, noting the blatant impossibility of Seattle referring to rotting carcasses of buffaloes that had been shot from marksmen on passing trains? Any speech by Seattle had to have preceded the mass slaughter of the Great Plains buffaloes by decades; the herds were exterminated in the 1870s and 1880s, and Seattle died in 1866....Smith's transcription was published in the Seattle Sunday Star on 27 October 1887...Smith calls his account "scraps from a diary," and says his reconstruction "is but a fragment of [Seattle's] speech, and lacks all the charm lent by the grace and earnestness of the sable old orator, and the occasion."...Smith never mentions the fact that he heard the speech entirely in translation. As others have pointed out, the speech was almost certainly intelligible to Smith only as translated from Seattle's Lushootseed (Puget Salish) dialect.[15] Smith may have understood the Chinook jargon (a trade language) used for intermediate translation that day; but reports are unclear about who, if anyone, made a translation into English, and whether that person had competency in Lushootseed as well as the jargon and English...Puget Sound historian David Buerge, who has researched the breadth of Smith's writings, notes that Smith "enjoyed telling romantic tales" and (perhaps carried away a bit by his subject) "imbued his work with a sense of murky twilight as he bore witness to the passing of the frontier." Buerge states that "Chief Seattle's speech [is] easily the best thing Smith ever 'wrote.'"..."Chief Seattle himself was a black-paint dancer who had only recently adopted Christianity at the time of the speech.[26] Thus, he knew the compelling power of the wintertime religious practice. He also knew the rage and resentment of leaders who did not share his Christianity and did not want to ally with Whites."

From Remembering Chief Seattle: Reversing Cultural Studies of a Vanishing Native American published in the American Indian Quaterly Summer 98 Vol. 22 Issue 3 pgs 280-304

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
I just read yesterday that Scottish travellers also believed that the anti-bacterial properties of tobacco would help with bad cuts and open wounds. The treatment involved slicing up coins of twist tobacco and actually placing them in the wound - it hurt terribly, according to the informant. She said back then (pre-WW1 I think) the twists would always dry up in the local shop because they had no means of keeping them fresh. They were then sold at a very low price as "hard baccy" for medicinal purposes.
There was another story from the West Highlands (Ross-shire) where a young man's grandmother told him to always smoke black tobacco (black twist) when he started smoking. This is because she remembered a soldier coming back to their village after serving in the Crimean War. He was nursed by Florence Nightingale who told him he needed to smoke black twist tobacco to protect himself from cholera.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
Excellent post! I love the story about the black twist tobacco and I always assumed moist tobacco was used on wounds. You have to wonder about the effectiveness of potent tobacco like black twist in keeping away sickness. Then again maybe not everyone smoked tobacco, I have read some books where the indians of north america were said to smoke dried tobacco almost powder most of the time. But I wonder if twist tobacco is based on an indian style of making pipe tobacco. Kinikinik is usually described as mixed with dried herbs/berries but I believe Indians must have had methods of casing tobacco with molasses or soaking it to give it flavors the way perique was done. There was probably many different methods of soaking the tobacco in its own juices, with molasses and all kinds of other flavorful ingredients to give it flavor. I cant seem to find the earliest known use of tobacco, anyone know?

9mmpuffer

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2018
I have no evidence to prove it, but I highly doubt any form for smoking is good for you.
I like smoking a pipe in moderation, it makes me happy. I think making yourself happy is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.