PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
About six months ago I was into a B&M that I used to frequent when I lived closer to the city. They had a 1999 Stanwell Pipe of the Year. It was a nice shape and I hemmed and hawed about picking it up. It has been there for years. I mean since 1999. Well I finally decided the $160.00 price tag was worth it and to be honest it's not like they are still making them. Yesterday I found myself in the city and went into said pipe shop to bring that baby home and pick up a tin of Nightcap. Well the pipe was gone. And I was told that Nightcap will no longer be imported into Canada. Holy crap! So a lesson to you all. If you see it and want it, buy it. The wife would have been over it by now had I picked up the pipe six months ago with six tins of Nightcap and I would be sitting here smoking it and lamenting the weather. He Who Hesitates is Lost! :crying:

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
I just saw a great Dunhill bent bulldog on SP.com on the Thursday update. I looked and really thought about grabbing it for $195. But I decided I'd wait to think about it (even though I knew it'd probably go fast) It was a great little size, good blast, and really beautiful cumberland stem. It was gone in about 15 minutes! I hope someone here got it. It looked to be a great pipe at a nice price.
I am not upset, but I agree... If it catches you eye, think through the purchase quickly, and make a decision!

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
This happens to me occasionally when I see a pipe that I really want on Ebay. I hesitate because of the price, and in the end I want to kick myself for not having purchased or bid.
"The wife would have been over it by now had I picked up the pipe six months ago..."
Probably. But my wife has a memory like a steel trap...

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
So a lesson to you all. If you see it and want it, buy it.
+1
Sorry to hear of your loss!
I have found that this is oh so true. If you see a pipe you like, odds are there's someone else spying it too. Some time ago I wanted a pipe on SmokingPipes, next thing I knew - it was sold.

Dec 24, 2012
Hey piper12 - I heard that none of the Dunhill blends would be available in Canada. I also heard that the same would be true for the SG blends (though I haven't been able to verify that). I am not surprised. The taxes have driven the prices of tins through the roof up here, and I would imagine they are selling very, very few, particularly given the prices and availability across the 49th parallel. It's sad, but that's what happens with high taxes and regulation.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Piper12: I let two Savinelli EX 606s get away from me on Smokingpipes.com. I kept saying to myself, "hey, they'll be there in a day or two when you got a little more stash and the wife won't be able to fire her big guns at me."
Next time I look, both Savinellis are gone! I've had that happen to me one time too many. You will recover, but the lesson is a good one. Strike when the heart tugs!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
As a fellow Canuck it scares me to hear about the Dunhill tobaccos not being imported any longer. It seems I am getting into this hobby at the wrong time, just as everything is going to go through the roof price wise and availability north of the border becomes not much more that Captain Black!

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Well that's terrible news all around. It looks like they've gone and done it this time...

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Thanks folks! It's nice to have a symathetic ear since my wife just shakes her head and says with 35 pipes what the heck do you need another for. The real crime is no more Dunhill! I really like Nightcap. @peck and Brdavidson Brigham is making their own blend now that closely resembles Nightcap so I grabbed a tin and will try it and get back to you on how close it is to the original.

dapperfox

Lurker
Feb 27, 2013
I tend to agree. About a year or so back, smokingpipes had an absolutely beautiful freehand Ardor for sale. For days I contemplated buying it and when I was finally ready to pull the trigger, it had been sold. I've regretted it ever since. At the same time, Ardors are fairly expensive so I'm not too fussed that I didn't go through with it! :wink:

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Pipes are one thing but the tobacco is a crying shame. Dunhill and Sam Gawith gone? One less reason to live in Canada. (I'm not even joking - it shows how we have fallen prety to the special interests)

Status
Not open for further replies.