PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Nothing surprises me anymore.
Nanny State Hawaii May Increase Smoking Age To 100
The new bill, HB 1509, demands that the smoking age go up to 30 in 2020, 40 in 2021, 50 in 2022, and 60 in 2023. The last jump will take place in 2024 when people would need to be 100 years old to buy cigarettes.
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-02-06/nanny-state-hawaii-may-increase-smoking-age-100

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Saw that here earlier this morning. Still shaking my head.
http://fortune.com/2019/02/05/hawaii-smoking-age-100/

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
"Accordingly, the purpose of this Act is to ban the sale of cigarettes in the State by gradually increasing the minimum age to purchase cigarettes, but not other tobacco products or electronic smoking devices, over a period of five years."

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Ridiculous.... oh yeah IBTL
ibtl-gif-2.gif

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Does not include pipe tobacco.
If it doesn't, it will when people start rolling cigarettes with it. Anyway, it's naive to think that these people aren't after all tobacco. I'm sure the clown who introduced this bill is at least smart enough to realize the only way he has any chance at all of it passing is to target only cigarettes initially. I also wonder how large the effect would be on cigar and pipe tobacco production and distribution if cigarettes disappeared.
Sounds like another boon for fake ID's!
LOL ... yeah I thought about that too. I could just see people trying to pass for 100. It gets harder and harder to tell the difference between satire and reality every day.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I can see it now. Middle aged men and women driving their parents to the corner store, pulling out the walkers, handing them the $50 it costs to buy a pack of ciggies, and sending them in to make the purchase.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
The legislature further finds that while other combustible tobacco products such as cigars are also harmful, smoke from these products are usually not inhaled and they are therefore less harmful than cigarettes.

Accordingly, the purpose of this Act is to ban the sale of cigarettes in the State by gradually increasing the minimum age to purchase cigarettes, but not other tobacco products or electronic smoking devices, over a period of five years.
Well, at least they recognize in the bill that other tobacco products are less harmful than cigarettes. That's something.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@mau1: LOL
the purpose of this Act is to ban the sale of cigarettes in the State
Wow, they even openly admit it's an actual BAN. Nice to see such honesty coming from a legislator.
As Mark Twain said, no man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Status
Not open for further replies.