Having Problems With Smoking A Conical-Shaped Bowl.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebrokenone

Lurker
Feb 2, 2016
I've got a Savinelli 305 and for the life of me, I cannot light the entire surface of the tobacco without fear of charring the rim of the bowl. Another issue is achieving even-smoking characteristics in a bowl of this shape and bore. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 8, 2013
If you're having trouble keeping the flame from the rim, try wetting your finger (with your tongue is fine) and running it along the rim of the pipe. This well help prevent rim char. I would also suggest using matches or a low heat flame lighter (Zippo or Bick.... no torches. Ever.) Also, don't fill your tobacco above the rim, but a tad bit below it. This will help as well. And on first light, the tobacco is going to expand a bit anyway. I have several conical chambered pipes, and to me, they seem to burn as well as most any other pipe, with the exception that perhaps I have a few more relights than other pipes sometimes as I near the bottom of the bowl. If I remember to pack a bit lighter or use a drier tobacco, it's not as much of an issue.

thebrokenone

Lurker
Feb 2, 2016
Thanks, I'll try saturating the rim. I don't believe in torch lighters, so no worries there. I only use either wood matches or my BiC lighter. I'm glad to know that there's hope for my 305, based on your use of conical-shaped bowls. Yes, they do require a few more relights, but as long as I can get to the bottom of that bowl, that's all that matters. Thank you very much for your advice. :)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Excellent suggestion about moistening the rim. That's what I do with all of my pipes. Getting to the bottom of the bowl isn't necessary, and trying to burn every last shred can really heat up your pipe in a bad way. Enjoy the tobacco, and don't concern yourself with popular myths.

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks for adding that in Sablebrush. Never let your bowl get too hot. If it feels hot and you can't hold it against your bare cheek, let it go out and cool down before relighting. A smoke to the bottom is great, but don't force your pipe to do it.

thebrokenone

Lurker
Feb 2, 2016
sablebrush, I don't try to smoke EVERY scrap of tobacco, but as much as I can to reduce wastage. I enjoy the flavor of my tobaccos, regardless of how far down the bowl gets. Nah, I don't care for the fabled myths, myself. Most of my personal preferences have been self-discovered.
anthonyrosenthal, my pipes enjoy light abuse, sort of like myself. Haha.
Thank you, both. :)

I think that I may be an odd bird in that I seek out conical bowls, that and other things. But, great suggestions above. You might also try just holding the soft flame lighter about a half inch or so above the bowl when you light it. Draw the flame down to the tobacco with your breath. Also, I don't fret over lighting the entire surface of the tobacco. It is heated tobacco surrounding the cherry that gives me the flavor.

Also, I mostly smoke my cone shaped bowls while working, so I clench them and just keep a very slow breathsmoking cadence, not ever really paying much attention to the chamber. I may subconsciously tamp once or twice while smoking, not sure, but I generally just keep it going till it goes out. Like riding a bike, you have to think about every movemnt at first, and then latter, you're peddling, steering, and braking without having to think much about it. I may or may not notice that as I get closer to the bottom, the flavors (especially of Virginias and VaPers) taste so much more rich at the bottom. Mostly not notice.
It's no big deal to have to relight. Don't fret it. Still, just hold up the lighter, keep the rim parallel to the floor, spit on the rim of wanted, and draw down the heat from the flame into the chamber. The flame itself doesn't have to visibly touch the tobacco.
Hopefully, you'll be smoking without really thinking about it in no time. Good luck.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I was about to say the same thing that Michael suggested with the match (that is all I use) about 1/4 inch above the plane of the rim of the pipe. As an observation of looking at lots of estate pipes, pipes with an asymmetrical char on the rim mean the person lighting the pipe is visually challenged; he thinks he is lighting the center of the bowl but is off center and lighting the rim. Keep the flame in the middle and above the rim and you should be fine.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
I prefer conical bowls eg: lots of Dublins, but I guess I am odd man out because I pack them tighter and have few relights. They are also great for smoking flakes because they burn to the bottom better.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
Cosmic has it right..
I don't fret over lighting the entire surface of the tobacco. It is heated tobacco surrounding the cherry that gives me the flavor.
And,
The flame itself doesn't have to visibly touch the tobacco.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
All the above is great advise. If the wind allows, a Swan match held to ignite across the matches length, will quickly light a vast area when held aloft and moved across the bowl. With wind it is back to lighters though. There is a test someone did and photographed in the blog, back when, that very effectively showed the various types of ignition and the extent of damage to the wood. A long match when conditions allow is the least damage. I am guilty of over filling the bowl and really have to watch it.

thebrokenone

Lurker
Feb 2, 2016
Thank you, as well for the great advice, all. I hold all of your sincere advice dearly; it's much appreciated for the time.

thebrokenone

Lurker
Feb 2, 2016
I'm just checking back in to say that I'm now successfully smoking my Sav 305 Venere. She's smoking dry and like a champ. :puffy: :puffy: :puffy:

music4cash

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2016
It's also worth noting that when you get a new pipe sometimes it smokes great right away, but often it takes a little time to break in.

Status
Not open for further replies.