PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
Ok, try to think about the smell of freshly baked biscuit and it is what you get smell and taste smoking SW Grousemoor plug. I just had the first bowl yesterday and it is pretty amazing. The smell of the plug is very similar to baked biscuit (many say it is soapy and I can figure out while they say so but it is not soapy to me at least). One amazing thing of this plug is that the smoke taste exactly as it smells.

It is extremely wet which requires definitely a preparation not too much in term of drying but in "manipulating" and breaking the flake you cut, which once cut is more similar in consistence to a piece of rubber, between your fingers for a good 10-15 minutes in order to separate the leaves "opening them up". I suspect if you don't do so it will give a lot of troubles. Once you have broken the flakes actually 1 hour of aeration is enough. It required 3 charring lights but once it lights it stays light pretty well requiring only few relights. The Virginia tobacco is very good and always present all the time, the flavoring which is very strong, while it has some floral lakeland tones, is not the typical Lakeland (of which I would consider Ennerdale the most typical incarnation) but as said it is very close to baked biscuits. Flavoring decreases a little bit in the second half but never disappears and the tobacco never get harsh or bitter even at the end of the bowl leaving only some gray ash and a little bit of the dottle in the bowl.

A very good tobacco, in some way surprising as pretty different from the Lakelands blends, not soapy at least for me. If you like or are interested in English aromatics this should be definitely in your list. If you don't like Lakelands probably you won't like this too also even if it has to considered it is pretty different from typical Lakeland.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I take it your not in the US. I would love to get my hands on some...

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
English plugs :worship: :worship: :worship:

I agree. I would love to get my hands on some of those GH plugs not available here in the US. When I finally make it to England, I'll be bringing back a full suitcase of plugs!

64alex

May 10, 2016
[I take it your not in the US. I would love to get my hands on some...]
Actually I am in the USA. Got from Synjeco in Switzerland. They ship to USA. A little bit pricey but not terrible.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
Synjeco is the way to go for some of the "hard to find" blends, plugs and flakes.
SG Grousemoor Plug is definitely a favourite and has been on my mind for the last few days. Then I see this thread. LOL. :D
Agreed, it takes a bit of prep time, but it's worth it imo. I enjoy mixing the plug with a bit of Grousemoor ribbon. Makes for a better burn and has a grand taste and aroma.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[Agreed, it takes a bit of prep time, but it's worth it imo. I enjoy mixing the plug with a bit of Grousemoor ribbon. Makes for a better burn and has a grand taste and aroma.]
This is a good idea. Actually I have an unopened tin of the ribbon cut. This could give a reason to open it.

Status
Not open for further replies.