Have You Ever Been Laughed At For Smoking A Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
I just saw the Spike Lee film, Do The Right Thing, in which Danny Aiello tells someone "if they laugh at you they are not your friends." I agree.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I have a few co-workers that have kind of laughed when I told them I smoke pipes. Because I'm fairly young and they perceive pipe smoking as something that older men do they thought it was a little funny. Really I don't care. A couple of them like to make fun because sometimes I refer to my cigars as "sticks." Its all in good fun though.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I've converted almost all of my friends to the pipe. And when I'm in public I either get questions about it or compliments.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The woman who prepares our taxes was remembering, with my wife, about quitting smoking. Then

she turned to me and asked if I ever smoked. I said, well, I smoke a pipe. And her face just lit up

with recognition, she beamed, and said, "Of course!" So I took that as an affirmation. I'm just a natural

pipe guy, even if a person has never seen me with a pipe.
For comparison, people who have known me for years, when I tell them I am a Vietnam vet look totally

confused and a little upset. I'm not someone you would visualize in the military. I think the U.S. Navy

was a little astonished too.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Have reached an age where even though I don't I don't give a damn what people think I have also reached a point where my BS tolerance is much lower for ignorant people. If you laugh with me your all good. Laugh at me and your going to get a split skull. Remember regardless of what your momma told ya violence does solve some problems. LOL

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
I've been laughed at a few times, one time was very memorable. And I find the circumstances around it hilarious. I was standing outside of a local music venue in between sets, smoking a pipe, chatting with my friend, waiting for the next band to start. All the others outside are smoking ciggs. One of which says to his group of friends, while pointing directly at me, loud enough so everyone on the block can hear "You see that, guys? That's full Hipster. You don't want to be full Hipster." They all laugh. Thing is, all these kids were clearly very concerned with how they looked, making sure everyone knew that they belong to a certain subculture with the way they dressed. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with anyone dressing a certain way to identify with a certain group. I just found it hilarious that they were looking down on me because they thought I was trying to fit into a particular category, much like they were.
Other times were by friends the first time they saw me smoke a pipe. The next time they saw me do it, they were usually inntrigued, and most have given it a shot themselves. :)

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
A few times with both cigars and pipes while driving from kids. That of course was followed by "the look" from the parents. A nod, puff and a smile as I continue down the road. I have been approached in a not so friendly manor. In that case I pull out my printed copy from Kashmir on "why I smoke" and hand it to them which cuts off the conversation while they read.
Craig

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Once in 2000 in a dance club in Tampa. Some frat dude said, "Look out, Pipe Guy" after he ran into me on the dance floor while I was smoking. Of course, several ladies wanted to take a puff as well. That happens more often.

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Eastwood, It's funny that you mention the younger generation and "Hipsters", as they're so called. I myself have been called a Hipster on numerous occasions, and to be quite honest I had no idea that how I was dressing made me fit into that particular category at all. I just wore what I felt was most comfortable. The pipe just threw me over that imaginary line, probably threw me into a whole new category of Hipster as far as the individuals with their "finger on the fashion pulse of the nation" were concerned :roll:

johnscs

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2009
I remember only one laughing incident: I once (foolishly) lit up my pipe before riding my bike home from a friend's house. A couple of kids shooting hoops thought it was pretty funny to see a skinny 16-year-old kid cruising along with tobacco smoke trailing from his pipe. Burned the hell out of my tongue and decided cycling while pipe-smoking was a pretty silly idea ...
When I was in my teens, 20s, and 30s, reactions to seeing me with my pipe were pretty predictable:
• "Your pipe smells really good. Reminds me of how much I liked it when my dad/grandpa/uncle/husband smoked a pipe."

• "You smoke a pipe? Weird. Didn't know you smoked."

• "You smoke a pipe? Classy!"

• "You smoke a pipe? Man, I always wanted to smoke a pipe!"

• "You smoke a pipe? Since when?" (my parents)
These days, reactions to my pipe range from indifferent to very curious (in a positive way).

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I havent been laughed at. But if I am, I'm spreading the joy so it good for me. I laugh at others somethimes when i see them in their car or walking down the street. If something strikes me funny, i laugh, no harm intended.

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Mattia, how in the hell did you manage to keep a pipe in your mouth, lit, and dance at the same time? Maybe it's just me, but my dance moves require a lot of flailing limbs...come to think of it, that's probably the reason why I didn't get a whole lot of compliments back when I frequented those kind of establishments :lol:

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
As I get older I'm finding, as many of you have pointed out, that I tend to care less and less about what other people think of me. I guess the only reason why this particular situation peeved me off so much was because the criticism came from a group of people I used to call friends. But now I realize that, hell, they're not worth the time and effort that I used to give them. Part of growing up i guess is realizing which people you identify with the most, and shrugging off those that in the first place didn't give a damn.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I'm sorry I came late to this excellent thread - some great stories and comments.
For years, I was painfully conscious about smoking a pipe, especially as I've never smoked cigarettes and so didn't understand how smokers interacted. I smoked alone for fear of ridicule and bumbled along on pipes and tobacco recommended by staff in tobacconists for the same reason. It is now extremely rare to see a pipe smoker in public in London, so this reticence continued for a long time. Then two things happened: first, I discovered this site and second - following on from the first - I decided I would make a point of smoking where I wanted, providing I wasn't causing offence or harm.
I take my pipe pouch everywhere now and I've faced the world down one day at a time. My long-suffering wife, who calls herself a pipe widow, tolerates it and doesn't wince (visibly) when I smoke a pipe in public with her. I've lit up on family occasions, in front of clients, and with service providers. I've smoked my pipes in the designated areas at conferences and airports, pubs and tourist attractions. I've told my staff and colleagues about my hobby and then smoked a pipe in front of them; given that they average half my age (some are younger than that) there was a range of reactions, but none any more negative than bewilderment and miscomprehension. I've had the "My Granddad used to..." line a number of times and a fair bit of "I like the smell..." I get the odd smirk as I walk across London Bridge but I've also been supported by a lovely group of (American) ladies when told to desist by an over-zealous security guard in Covent Garden. Schoolchildren visiting the sights near my office are fascinated and often comment to their teachers, none of whom have - yet - said anything that was less than positive.
Without wishing to sound like a therapy patient, I came to realise through participating in this site that my pipe is for me and my enjoyment. I love smoking a pipe and the peace and happiness it brings me. I've raised a family and now have grandchildren. I have worked like a nutter my whole life and still have about 10 years labour to go. As my wife told my children when I went public, I've earned this. 'Nuff said.
Andy

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I remember work associates were originally bemused by my pipes and we are talking 1984 here. I had a mustache in those days and I remember being called 'Basil' by my co-workers. I remember a chum ringing me up from the syndication department and even before he said hello he said….'Basil take the pipe out of your mouth as I can never understand your market making with that thing in your gob…'. I have related before the Three Nuns comment by my boss at the bank. 'Ahh Three Nuns. None today, none tomorrow and none the day after. Can't you smokes cigarettes like everyone else?'

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
tralboss wrote:

And you fail to post the link?...bad form, old chap!
I think dragonsslayer was referring to a post made by Kashmir on a thread titled: “Why Do You Smoke?” which is as follows:
"I smoke a pipe because it brings me closer to God".

Johann Sebastian Bach
JS Bach was a tobacco pipe smoker (clays in those days), and composed the following poem about why he smokes a pipe. Found in the Noten-Bchlein vor Anna Magdalena Bach ("Little Notebook for A.M.Bach") of 1725 (Anna Magdalena was his second wife), this brief song was called So oft ich meine Tobackspfeife.

Here's the English translation.
Whenever I pick up my tobacco-pipe,

Stuffed with good tobacco

For pleasure and pastime,

It gives me a sad impression -

And leads to the conclusion

That I resemble it in many ways.

The pipe was made from clay and earth

And so was I.

One day I will be earth again -

It often falls from the hand

And breaks before you know,

My destiny is the same.

The pipe is usually not colored;

It remains white.

So therefore,

One day when I am dying

My body will turn pale.

Once buried it becomes black, just like

A pipe that has been used for a long time.

When the pipe is lit,

One sees the smoke disappear instantly

In the free air,

Leaving nothing but ashes behind.

The glory of all mankind is consumed

And the body turns to dust.

So often it happens while smoking,

That the stuffer is not handy,

And instead the finger is used,

Then I wonder when I burn myself,

If the ashes make such pain

How hot will it be in Hades?

Since such is the case,

From my tobacco I can always

Conjure enlightening thoughts.

Therefore, in comfort I smoke

On Land, at sea and at home

My little pipe, with devotion.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Phil, that poem was beautiful. I might have to take a page out of dragonslayer's book and carry the poem with me for those exact moments. Well played, dragonslayer, well played.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Really good Phil - thanks. I often use my thumb as a tamper; glad to see there's historical precedent!
Andy

chagovatoloco

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 19, 2013
Many of the youth are rejecting modern materialism and searching for something new, they may not realize this but it is what is they are doing. We call them hipsters and some are for the fad, but I like the idea of looking for something that is not and industry.....or advertised. The pipe is a reach back for something, a good one. They may laugh at you now because you are a dissident, but it is dissidents that historically change society and are often made fun of. In 10 years when you are still smoking the pipe - and look a little older - things will not be this way.
Henry David Thoreau was a brilliant author and dissident who never got any respect in his time. It was not until later - when his concept of civil disobedience was picked up by Dr. Martin Luther King - did he really start to get real recognition.

Status
Not open for further replies.