Have Some Regulars Become Lurkers Since the Switch?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
befriending' someone (which seems to have been renamed to 'Following' now)
Friend requests had to be asked for and accepted. Following someone can be done at will and gives the follower alerts to every post and comment of the one being followed all stalker style.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I think we might have some lurkers becoming regulars too. I like my own site much better now.

There's TONS of other stuff that I couldn't do with the site, not just because of the shittiest forum platform in the world being in place, I couldn't update WordPress because a coder from 10 years ago hacked the WP core.

Now that it is up to date, we can have what I think is a super cool feature for the podcast - an embedded player right on the page. Check it out, after the 2nd paragraph -
The Pipes Magazine Radio Show Episode 365 | PipesMagazine.com - http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/radio-talk-show/the-pipes-magazine-radio-show-episode-365/

I can also optimize the site better to get improved rankings in Google, and increased traffic and memberships.

I could list off half a dozen things in the backend that make the site better, but it likely wouldn't make sense to most unless you run or build websites.

Here's one that forum members might appreciate. I know the mods do.

The management of spammers in the forums is HUGELY improved.

Since launch last Friday, 18 spammers have been caught and banned, BEFORE their post even went public for anyone to see. The site detects most spammers as they post, and quarantines the post without it even being published.

In the end, and I've said this before, this upgrade was mandatory and overdue for this site to survive another ten years.
?????

Reactions: bnichols23

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
For me, it took a while to get past that password change sentry, which just about ran me off for good. Now, I have to hunt like hell to figure out what the threads are. I don't even understand how to use this forum format on the phone, and all the damn lies the younger punks told us about how this would make the forum so much easier... Lies!

No, I don't like this new newfangled look. It's confusing, and hard to read. It doesn't even look new, just more complicated. But, I will roll with it, spitting, cussing, and farting the whole way.

I'm going to punch a younger person person in the mouth tonight, just cos...
Yeah I agree... at least I can like your comment now. :oops:

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
Yeah I agree... at least I can like your comment now. :oops:
Upon further reading , you have to do operating system upgrades and making it easier for the mods.. So I guess it was a must do. Looks the same , with just a lot of different options which I have not clicked on, and I have not fully navigated the new features of the forum... At least I was able to log in , type and read so that's a huge plus!

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
My only two critiques: 1) the left side banner takes up way too much screen room with lots of white space, making actual posts hard to read; 2) recent comments in the left banner and at the bottom is an unnecessary redundancy.

Reactions: paulfg

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
For me, the learning curve was steep but short. That is the way of many things in my life. Now, I really like the new sites. I hope the regulars take the time to give this site a chance. I would miss some of you guys, not all of you, but some.

I'm not sure,but I think I wa' jes' insulted.... -evyl grin-

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I made the switch-over pretty painlessly. But, like others have said, I really don't like the new look. I understand the need to change, and I welcome change, and things needed changing, but I still don't care for this new non-look. Looks like the school secretary laid it out, to be honest.

None of which really matters, since I don't have a lot to add these days.

Following someone can be done at will and gives the follower alerts to every post and comment of the one being followed all stalker style.
Why in Garfield's name would anyone want to do that? I can't imagine following a member to the point of wanting to hang on their every word posted.

I'm not a big fan of the "like" button. There was a piece on the radio this morning about how Facebook and other social media are going to change how it works on their format.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I find myself torn between a) not following Embers because I don't want to increase his discombobulation, & b) following him just to make him antsy. };)

Bill
I've been following @chasingembers for years, he just doesn't know it.
The difference is just telling guys that you are following them. I don't want Embers to know, he might get creeped out.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've been following @chasingembers for years, he just doesn't know it.
The difference is just telling guys that you are following them. I don't want Embers to know, he might get creeped out.

2683d0c5c179a23c10602c025314d654--jamberry-nails-consultant-jamberry-nail-wraps.jpg

Reactions: didimauw

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
I made the switch-over pretty painlessly. But, like others have said, I really don't like the new look. I understand the need to change, and I welcome change, and things needed changing, but I still don't care for this new non-look. Looks like the school secretary laid it out, to be honest.

None of which really matters, since I don't have a lot to add these days.
Yea, but the long time listeners and first time callers want to know what you think ;)

Reactions: woodsroad
Status
Not open for further replies.