PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 27, 2016
I have A old swiss pipe solid silver simmular to ebay item number 141941036052 only wood is the bole and theres silver inlay on it to just wondering how old it mite be wish I could ad A picture very decorated two sets of double chains bull horn mouth piece silver is hand etched leafs flowers cow and other things

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the Forums, James. Not much to go on with the information you provided.

Any inscriptions on the pipe? How did you acquire it? A picture is absolutely necessary for anybody to have a chance identifying it.

Mar 27, 2016
12919857_1030536713671080_6007389996089293682_n.jpg
heres the picture

Mar 27, 2016
looking at it more careful it looks like there's file marks on both sides of the barrel like some one filed some thing off maybe a mark or maybe initials why would someone do that must have bin done a wile ago it was black when I got it still makes me think they took some of the value away I paid $85. for it cause I liked it hope I did ok

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Could it be a BBK Swiss Made pipe? Plug that into Google and see if it matches anything you see. You can also search ebay with that for comparable pipes.

Mar 27, 2016
ebay had two cheap looking ones that had the same shape only thing they said was they were swiss google had one also cheap looking all it said was that it was swiss thinking of buying A pipe collecting book off ebey thinking those pipes i'm seeing are old remakes of mine. I was hoping it was BBK was kinda hoping the cow was A trade mark but I don't think it is i'm hoping it's at least 19th century or I mite put it on ebey for 200 and see if it sales.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Brace yourself, I'll be using capital letters now and then.
It looks as though it was hand carved by a clock maker deep in the Black Forest. Finished April, 1, 1985 or 86 in the late evening. Probably a gift for Bismark. Or, was he eating a Bismark? My research wasn't too clear as to that. I do know there was a Bismark involved somewhere. Maybe it was a bear claw?
Anyway, the pipe found it's way to the Nurburgring where Stirling Moss ran over it while reading a newspaper at ten yards (no glasses or contacts), driving a Benz backwards and covering the Ring in under ten seconds. (Take that Sabine!) All this occurred in 1956 if my memory serves me.
This is the best I can do for you. Sorry!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
If you paid $85 for it and you like it then you did well. If you try to get some satisfaction by selling it for more than you paid, you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. Maybe not. Would you have paid $200.00? For that amount you can buy a pretty good new pipe.
I've got two Swiss Made pipes. I've smoked them a few times but they make better conversation pieces than practical smoking pipes. Visitors are always impressed by them.

Mar 27, 2016
funny and thank you I thought I was hoping to high thinking I could get 200 it dose look like A pipe someone wouldn't smoke all I can do is hope there are people out there that just collect pipes just to collect them

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Finished April, 1, 1985 or 86 in the late evening.
Just for the sake of clarity, Warren no doubt meant that to read 1885...but all the rest of his assessment is surely accurate. Unless of course there was time travel involved, which can never be ruled out entirely in cases involving that style of pipe.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Souvenir pipe. Not necessarily very old. One of the better ones of that type I think. I guess it must have silver on it. My guess is value of the silver is the value of the pipe.
Or I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.