Haunted Bookshop is a New Favorite - Other Recs?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
This thread made me try Tree Friars. I like it. But I’ve not tried it on a fresh palette yet, so far it seems a little more mild mannered than HB or OJK. After two bowls of Carolina red flake right now to change it up on a Saturday morning.
Interestingly, Three Friars is the only blend I've ever despised on the first bowl. I now consider it my go-to blend, but it took some time to grow on me. Maybe because it was the first time I'd ever had Burley and Perique together.

J.Henry845

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
I don't get any hints, to me it is close to Happy Brown Bogie and HH Bold Kentucky in terms of flavor.

One thing to keep in mind is that I smoke some of the heavier scented Lakelands and may not be as sensitive to the "Lakeland Essence" as I once was. My first intros to Lakelands were Ennerdale Flake and Grasmere Flake which are kinda high on the Lakeland sauce scale.

I suggest trying a small sample of the Dark Birdseye in a cob and order a substantial amount if you like it. It is not always the easiest blend to get a hold of but it has been popping up a little more consistently.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Does the dark Birdseye have any Lakeland flavor?

No, not at all. I've found that it changes pretty radically over a short time in the jar (<6 mo.), becoming much softer and sweeter. So one shouldn't make up their mind about it right away. It's seriously yummy - I've smoked it every day for at least a couple months now. There are a couple places that almost always have it in bulk. PM me if you need any help finding it.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I would suggest OJK, but Haunted Bookshop is about the only blend that I’ve had that taste like it does. You might enjoy, GLP Barbary Coast and Penny Farthing.

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
I don't get any hints, to me it is close to Happy Brown Bogie and HH Bold Kentucky in terms of flavor.

One thing to keep in mind is that I smoke some of the heavier scented Lakelands and may not be as sensitive to the "Lakeland Essence" as I once was. My first intros to Lakelands were Ennerdale Flake and Grasmere Flake which are kinda high on the Lakeland sauce scale.

I suggest trying a small sample of the Dark Birdseye in a cob and order a substantial amount if you like it. It is not always the easiest blend to get a hold of but it has been popping up a little more consistently.
Sounds great. I have some in my cart!

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
No, not at all. I've found that it changes pretty radically over a short time in the jar (<6 mo.), becoming much softer and sweeter. So one shouldn't make up their mind about it right away. It's seriously yummy - I've smoked it every day for at least a couple months now. There are a couple places that almost always have it in bulk. PM me if you need any help finding it.
Thanks for the endorsement. I did find some online. Sounds really good.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
HB is my desert island blend. It’s not my favourite smoke, nor a daily go-to (yet)...but it is the one that makes me most content with life.

I’m excited to try some of the blends others have mentioned already. I have some Barbary coast, ojk blue and motley’s best lying around.

I’m not really a fan of Pegasus, but do enjoy the how the unsweetened cavendish smooths the smoke.

Before smoking HB, I used to just smoke C&Ds Dark burley - either straight, or blended with Two timer or ps312 (rip) or golden extra. I’m actually trying to figure out whether I like HB because of dark burley, or the other way round...meh either way it’s a win win.

A bit off track, but the blend that made me fall in love with perique, and want to give the bookshop a go was sutliff’s revelation match.

Has anybody found a particular pipe shape shines when smoking HB? I feel from it’s name alone it deserves to ghost the crap out of a dedicated briar (or cob?)

chur

Reactions: Bowie

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I'm thoroughly enjoying my first bowl of Haunted Bookshop and it's already a favorite. I put it up there with my other top choices: OJK, Bold Kentucky, ODF, Billy Budd, Manil's Semois Revor Plug, and Irish Flake. What other blends would you recommend based on this list? Thanks very much in advance.

Morley’s Best, Solani 656 Aged Burley Flake, Old Joe Krantz. Stokkebye’s 312 Toasted Burley used to make the list but it’s out of production it seems.

?

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Morley’s Best, Solani 656 Aged Burley Flake, Old Joe Krantz. Stokkebye’s 312 Toasted Burley used to make the list but it’s out of production it seems.

?
PS312 was my first great smoke...gotta somehow make 4oz last the rest of my life....I’m just waiting for an order of Newminster 702 light burley as a hopeful substitute. Is anybody familiar with this one?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I find many C&D blends to my liking. Ones I like but don't hear so much about are Stratfordshire, Tuggle Hall, and Bayou Night. These are all on the robust side, but I don't find them overbearing, given that I tend toward burley. I enjoyed a tin of Riverboat Gambler, again, not one that is famous, and not in my daily rotation, but always a pleasure ... until I emptied the tin. I think the offshoot versions of Old Joe Krantz might be good to sample, but my deep bench of good blends may keep me from them for some time to come.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I've learned to like the flavor of HBS. But the deal for me is that it must be high in nicotine or something because it's one of the few smokes that leaves me completely satisfied after. Many other tobaccos leave me feeling like i'm still missing something and I often find myself popping a in a kodiak chew with out thinking just minutes after.

Status
Not open for further replies.