Haunted Bookshop is a New Favorite - Other Recs?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
I'm thoroughly enjoying my first bowl of Haunted Bookshop and it's already a favorite. I put it up there with my other top choices: OJK, Bold Kentucky, ODF, Billy Budd, Manil's Semois Revor Plug, and Irish Flake. What other blends would you recommend based on this list? Thanks very much in advance.

Reactions: seanv

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Haunted Bookshop is a favourite of mine. The spicy, earthy and musty qualities are fantastic

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I’m slowly working my way back to it. It was an interesting first strong burley for me. It was the first pipe tobacco that made feel the nic hit.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
Mac Baren Bold Kentucky strikes me as being in the same family as Irish Flake and ODF. Definitely stronger than ODF, I recommend smoking it in a smaller bowl.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Three friars is good but lacks the earthy flavors in Haunted Bookshop . I have not tried Old Joe Krantz or billy budd but hear they are similar. For me, I haven’t found anything comparable to haunted bookshop.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
+1 for the Three Friars. It's sweeter than HB, but they share some good qualities. Amphora Burley and Kentucky are wonderful no-nonsense smokes. For strong DFK smokiness-cigaryness a la the HH flakes, I like C&D Five O'Clock Shadow. It softens out incredibly with a couple months in the jar. A nice satisfying smoke, and very easy to deal with. A little smoother than the DFK blends in your list is John Cotton Double-Pressed Kentucky. Jury's still out, but I think it's good. For the Latakia-cigar-leaf combination like Billy Budd (but without the burleys), GLP Key Largo is worth trying IMO. I haven't touched my stash of Billy Budd or BB Blonde since I first tried Key Largo. If you're digging the stanky-bitter-old-man-burley (I mean that in a good way) aspect of OJK and HB, I think C&D Big 'n Burley and Daughters and Ryan Picayune could fit the bill for you. For stuff like Irish Flake, but probably better, you've got get into all the British VABur flakes and DFK shags, which is a big ol' can of worms.

Reactions: johnlmcguire

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Based solely on your love for Revor Plug I’d recommend you try McConnell’s Latakia Flake and Sillem’s Commodore Flake.

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
+1 for the Three Friars. It's sweeter than HB, but they share some good qualities. Amphora Burley and Kentucky are wonderful no-nonsense smokes. For strong DFK smokiness-cigaryness a la the HH flakes, I like C&D Five O'Clock Shadow. It softens out incredibly with a couple months in the jar. A nice satisfying smoke, and very easy to deal with. A little smoother than the DFK blends in your list is John Cotton Double-Pressed Kentucky. Jury's still out, but I think it's good. For the Latakia-cigar-leaf combination like Billy Budd (but without the burleys), GLP Key Largo is worth trying IMO. I haven't touched my stash of Billy Budd or BB Blonde since I first tried Key Largo. If you're digging the stanky-bitter-old-man-burley (I mean that in a good way) aspect of OJK and HB, I think C&D Big 'n Burley and Daughters and Ryan Picayune could fit the bill for you. For stuff like Irish Flake, but probably better, you've got get into all the British VABur flakes and DFK shags, which is a big ol' can of worms.
Thanks for all of this insight. I do have a pouch each of the Amphora blends you mentioned and a tin of the Cotton Kentucky just waiting to be opened. Key Largo has been on my list for a while and I'll probably buy a tin when my Billy Budd runs out. I'm intrigued by Picayune but see that it's sold out everywhere at the moment. Which British VaBur flakes and DFK shags are you referring to specifically? I've tried a few Lakeland flakes and they aren't to my liking with the exception of Dark Plug. Thanks again.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
For an HB lover, OJK is a must try blend. +1 on the Pegasus. I do like those dark fired blends but to me it’s almost a different venue. But you’ll probably like them too. Billy Budd is a pretty heavy whallop of Latakia but a good smoke. Not very similar to HB in my book. Irish Flake? Just do it! But it’s not like HB or OJK. It may be a category of one. (Except Sterling Flake of course)

Reactions: mso489

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I do enjoy McConnell's Latakia flake but haven't checked out Commodore flake. I'll see if any online merchants have it in stock. Thanks!
It’s very, very similar to McConnell’s LF. I’m actually fine with just one or the other because like Stirling Flake & Irish Flake I have a feeling they are the same blend.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
This thread made me try Tree Friars. I like it. But I’ve not tried it on a fresh palette yet, so far it seems a little more mild mannered than HB or OJK. After two bowls of Carolina red flake right now to change it up on a Saturday morning.

brooklynpiper

May 8, 2018
I think it would be better instead of looking for blends of similar components to try out all of the Bob Runowski blends and the Craig Tarler's. Aqui, papa

This isn't as opposed to what most people are saying - I think they're spot on.

Reactions: brooklynpipeclub
Status
Not open for further replies.